Tennis

Senior starts fall season strong

Senior Giorgia Pozzan opened the fall season with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-0 victory over San Diego’s Anna Depenau to claim the black draw title. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

On Sunday, senior Giorgia Pozzan claimed the singles title for her draw at the SDSU Fall Classic.

The Daily Cougar caught up with the native Italian to ask her about her victory and how she is enjoying her second season at UH after transferring from Sam Houston.

Q: You opened your season with a big win, what was that final match like?

A: I was kind of nervous and it was my first tournament of the fall. I was definitely nervous, but excited.

Q: How often do you go back to visit Italy?

A: I go back twice a year, usually for Christmas, and a month and a half in the summer. It’s funny because when I come here I bring my Italian identity. Sometimes I do some things Americans wouldn’t do.

Q: What are some of those things?

A: When it comes to food, Americans usually dip all of their food and we don’t. The other day, my friends were telling me about dipping their pizza into ranch and it’s a crime. I still get shocked when I hear these things.

Q: What have you enjoyed about playing at UH?

A: I like being in a big city, because at Sam Houston we didn’t have anything except a prison around it. Usually I love living in a big town because it’s more similar to what I’m used to in Italy. Also, I like the atmosphere here, especially with the athletes. Because when I go to meals with the athletes, even today a lot of the athletes came up and said congratulations — things that would never happen in Huntsville.