Crime

Students, campus police meet to talk safety

UH students gathered last night near the University Center to talk with campus police about staying safe on campus.

National Night Out is designed for students and UH police to meet and find out how the police department and other personnel can be reached in the event of an emergency on campus.

“We are here tonight to help play a role in crime prevention on campus,” said UH Policeman Frank Rosas, who coordinated the event. “We want students to realize the resources that are available on campus and that we can help them in any sort of emergency. I am very pleased with the turn out, I am glad to see the participation from the students.”

The Women’s Resource Center was there to let everyone know how the center can assist them in various crime related and crisis management issues.

“We are here because the University is a microcosm of the outside world, and as much as we are here for education, we are also here to help prevent crime from happening,” said Beverly McPhail, director of the Women’s Resource Center. “We want all students to feel safe traveling around the campus, whether it be at night or during the day. We just want to let students know we are here for them.”

Dozens of vendors were passing out information about the services they have available.

“The Council (on Alcohol and Drugs) is always here to help out in the community and educate students on alcohol, tobacco and drugs,” said Yolanda Gude, the tobacco specialist from the council.

Other organization such as Drug Enforcement Agency were there to collect old prescription drugs from anyone who wished to drop them off.

UH police on campus can be reached at 713-743-3333, and police officials also wanted to remind students if they call 911 to make sure they say they are on the UH campus, so their department can be contacted directly.

National Night Out is typically held in August but was held this month due to heat conditions.