Soccer

Cougars drop fourth in a row

UH has been outscored 10-4 during its four-game skid. With the exception of its 9-0 win over Texas Southern, UH has been outscored 26-12 by its opponents. | Aaron Cisneros/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars extended their road losing streak to four with weekend losses to UTEP and Colorado College.

Friday, UH (4-10-0, 1-5-0 Conference USA) lost 6-3 to the Miners (10-3-2, 4-1-1), and a 1-0 decision to the Tigers (7-4-3, 5-0-1).

The Cougars allowed the Miners to score the first six goals of the contest, including four in the first half.

It was only in the 71st minute that the Cougars responded to the onslaught when freshman forward Kayla Walker capitalized off a corner by Stephanie Derieg to put UH on the board. Jessica Zavalza scored her team-leading seventh goal of the season in the 84th minute to make it 6-2 and Alexis Weaver rounded out the scoring for both sides in the 87th minute.

The Cougars were outshot 19-15 in the game.

Against the Tigers, the Cougars focused on the defensive aspects of their game and shut out the Tigers’ attack in the first half. But the Cougars conceded the game’s only goal in the 47th minute.

The Cougars applied pressure but could not maintain a presence in the opposing side of the pitch. The Cougars were outshot 25-8 in the game. With the loss, the Cougars dropped to 10th in C-USA.

Despite the Cougars’ recent slump, sophomore goalkeeper Cami Koski still believes that something can be made out of the season.

“We’re struggling a little bit to finish our chances,” Koski said. “But we have about five games left in conference for us to get out there and pick up some wins. We’re all still pushing for it. We’re working just as hard as we would if we were on a winning streak.”