Communograph art exhibit highlights Third Ward culture

UH is teaming up with Houston’s Third Ward and Project Row Houses to create a community involved map of one of the Bayou City’s historic districts.

The project, called Communograph, brings local artists together to map and graph out the Third Ward, creating a portrait that represents the culture and history of the area in the interest of social change.

“This is a great way for all artists in the Third Ward to show off their talents,” said Ashley Hoffman, a spokesperson for the project.

Six artists from the Third Ward are currently participating in the event, but Hoffman is hoping this will inspire more artists to come forward.

Artist Ashley Hunt is the Third Ward resident that spearheaded this project. His work has turned Project Row House into a working physical map of the community, turning each home into a work of art that will be displayed through the end of the year.

“He is excited to have teamed up with UH to create the graphic design and web design of the welcome center for the Communograph event,” Hoffman said.

“UH is making a mark in the community and will have big representation in the welcome center, and this is a great way for students to show off their abilities.”

UH students will help run the website for this project as well.

Every Thursday there will be an open forum where an artist will be talking about the work they are showing and how it represents the Third Ward. Hunt will be there as well to answer questions and to discuss his art and the future plans he has for the Third Ward and the Communograph series.

“The Communograph series runs through December at the Project Row Houses in the Third Ward, and we look forward to seeing the reaction to this unique art exhibit,” Hoffman said. “I hope the student(s) at UH are proud of the event, and I encourage everyone to come and see what their fellow students have participated in creating.”

For more information on the Communograph series, Project Row Houses, or the Third Ward, visit www.projectrowhouses.org.