Rec center fees to stay stable

With the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center costs set for maintenance, student fees will likely remain at $84.

Senior Associate Director of Recreation Reginald Riley said that students initially voted on the price they wanted to pay for the center.

“The state legislature would not approve the bill to build the building, unless the students voted on it, and that’s exactly what happened,” Riley said.

“First, they went out and did surveys over what students wanted to be charged: a $90 rate, a $75 rate or a $60 rate. The surveys came back saying 40 percent would vote for the $90 rate.”

In an attempt to appease everyone, the original rate on tuition bills was $75 — the middle-ground price.

Kathy Anzivino, former director of the recreation center, pulled the necessary strings to make this rate meet the challenge of building a beautiful center on a tight budget, Riley said.

“Dr. Anzivino knew numbers. She got with the vice president (for) student affairs and crunched the numbers. She said we could give the students the ‘Taj Mahal’ facility for $75, meaning the 70-meter pool and everything,” Riley said.

“She did some serious negotiating, but she got it done. The students owe her everything to get all of this at the rate that is charged right now.”

With a total of $7 million in funds accrued in 2010, there should not be a need to alter the student fee in the near future, Riley said.

The price has been in place since 2006, and will probably continue as is.

Fees taken in by the recreation center can be broken down as such: 40 percent goes toward the mortgage and paying back the state bond, and 13 percent covers maintenance and operation costs.

Utilities and staff wages account for 12 percent. Student wages are 11 percent and their reserve account is 6 percent. Fringe benefits are 4 percent, and 2 percent goes for the administration charge.

“We are one of the biggest hirers of students besides the (University Center),” Riley said.

For students who aren’t interested in conventional workouts, there are a number of other ways to make the most of the mandatory fee.

About 95 percent of the fitness classes are free.

The rock wall is also free, along with the leisure pool located in the back of the facility.

More than 30 intramural sports are free including basketball, softball and flag football.

The recreation center also offers competitive sport clubs where students can compete with sport clubs from other universities.

“We have a PlayStation game where they do a tournament,” Riley said.

“So if you want to compete but you don’t want to sweat, we’ve even got something for you.”

• "About 95 percent of the fitness classes are free. The rock wall is also free, along with the leisure pool located in the back of the facility. More than 30 intramural sports are free including basketball, softball and flag football."

It's not free if it's a mandatory fee.

It's not free if it's a mandatory fee.

• 40% voted for the $90 rate? Am i the only one who finds it strange that almost half of the students voted for the highest fee? I mean if i asked students "what would you pay for a textbook, $50? $100? $200? what do you think the majority would say?

Can we say rigged?

• Riley, your an idiot! Take your tie and wrap it around your mouth. You are so clueless on what goes on in the Recreation Center.