Soccer

Cougars back in the hunt

The Cougars snapped a four-game losing streak with a 2-0 victory over Southern Miss Friday, and pushed No. 23 to a 0-0 double-overtime tie Sunday at Robertson Stadium.

Head coach Susan Bush was pleased with UH’s (5-10-1, 2-5-1 Conference USA) ability to bounce back. She stressed that effort was key in the victory.

“The team came out with a totally new perspective,” Bush said. “We broke the game down into smaller goals and pieces, and they achieved them. Every single person on the team contributed today.”

Against the Golden Eagles (3-9-3, 1-5-2), UH broke the deadlock in the 33rd minute off a free kick by sophomore midfielder Jasmine Martinez. Sharis Lachappelle played the ball with a soft touch to Martine, who quickly drilled the ball past the defending wall and into the top left corner for her second goal of the season.

Lachappelle got in on the action again in the second half when senior defender Stephanie Derieg crossed the ball into a crowded box. As the ball sailed toward the touch line, junior forward Katelyn Rhodes kept play alive with a header that found Lachappelle in the middle of the box. The freshman made no mistake putting the ball to the back of the net.

“It feels unbelievable,” Lachappelle said. “Today on the field we were really positive with each other and communicated well and I think that was the difference.”

Recovering from a concussion, starting goalkeeper Cami Koski sat out the match. Sydney George started in her place and recorded her first career shutout.

“We worked hard and we deserve the win,” George said.

The Cougars impressed in their tie against the Knights (9-2-5, 4-1-3 C-USA), who entered the match on a six-game win streak.

It was the first time this season that the Cougars defeated a ranked opponent.

With three games remaining, UH sits in ninth place in C-USA — but tied with UAB for the final conference tournament spot.