Food

Heights market revives Houston produce, meat

On the corner of Yale and Heights in the Heights district of Houston sits Revival Market, a locally-owned market that supports and provides some of the area’s finest produce and products.

Headed up by Chef Ryan Para, Revival Market produces its own line of products as well ranging from soy sauces aged in oak, mustards and pickled watermelon rinds, all of which are produced in house.

Para is one of many with the philosophy of getting as much use out of a product and utilizing the best techniques to do so.

While some might think this is another trend that can be stacked along with any number of eco-friendly campaigns of the past decade, Para simply explains it as more re-imagining of the old world markets with a 21st century sensibility.

The first thing I was drawn to were the meat coolers, filled with locally raised and butchered beef, pork and chicken products and cuts.

Though the variety is nothing to write home about, the quality of the meats and the knowledge that Para and the rest of the staff are willing to share with you is what really singles this place out.

Though the clerk was directing me around the cooler and at all the different cuts, all I could see was this beautifully smoked thick cut bacon. I knew I was not leaving without a few slices.

That night I made myself a steak sandwich with the bacon from the market. I put it in the oven at 300 degrees for about 8 to10 minutes and it turned into this golden brown strip of crunchy pork goodness.

As I made my way around the store I came across some of their bottled mustard; I am a huge mustard aficionado — it is a miracle condiment that literally makes just about everything it touches excellent. Pretzels, hamburgers, hotdogs, steak, chicken, lamb — the list goes on and on. When I came across this little jar of home-made mustard, I had to try to find a reason not to buy it. A word of warning: at first glance the mustard may not look like much, especially with a price tag of $6.95, but trust that this is well worth it for those who can appreciate a good jar of mustard.

Needless to say, the mustard found its way onto the steak sandwich; the sharp twang and smooth finish cuts through the fatty flavor from the bacon without being overpowering.

Though this may not be the typical restaurant review, this is still one of the spots in the city Houstonians should really keep an eye on.