Sunday, July 12, 2020

Student Government

Smoking ban legislation introduced at SGA meeting

The much awaited smoking legislation was presented Wednesday night before the Student Government Association, but the bill is far from the expected complete ban on on-campus smoking.

Natural Sciences and Mathematics Senator Josie Ceasar and a co-author from the Collegiate Cancer Council did the initial reading of the bill, which will be edited and presented again at the next meeting.

“We’ve been talking to constituents, and we see that an outright ban is not needed at this moment.” Ceasar said when introducing the bill, “Basically what we’ve done is modify the [existing policy].”

The bill would, in it’s current state, ban smoking under covered pathways, “including, but not limited to, the PGH (Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall) breezeway, the breezeway between Cougar Village and Moody Towers Dining Hall, the breezeway between Cynthia Wood Mitchell Center for the Arts and the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication.”

It would also ban smoking on “all pathways adjacent to the M.D. Anderson Library and Butler Plaza… all pathways adjacent to the Recreation and Wellness Center (…and) the pathways along the University Center Perimeter.”

The bill will likely undergo “serious editing” as it makes its way through committees over the next two weeks, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences Senator Lee Arnold said after the meeting.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,