Events

Bottoms up: Second Annual Houston Beer Week around the corner

Houston Beer Week is slated to showcase the best beer brewed locally. With an expansive selection, beer lovers are in for a delicious treat.| Nine Nguyen/The Daily Cougar

Beer fact: the straw was invented for drinking beer without swallowing the sediment that results from fermentation in the pre-modern process of brewing.

As the last of the Octoberfest reserves get polished off, a Guinness-like deep, dark and deliciously foamy Christmas porter with notes of cardamom and orange peel is next on the docket waiting to take its place.

The ancient tradition of enjoying a pint with a neighbor while they brew the coming season’s stock finds itself being revitalized every which way we look with the onslaught of microbreweries and craft beers overwhelming the lustful senses of any honorable beer-loving lecher.

This week in its entirety is dedicated to satiation of that particular thirst for fermented grains in Houston.

The event officially begins on Saturday. We have plenty of time to plan entries for the keg art for charity, the kegs’ actual contents, and the camaraderie of fellow lushes from our hometown as well as those visiting from afar.

The selection is rapidly increasing in variety, in case you hadn’t noticed.

The event kicks off with a Monsters of Beer Charity Festival in Guadalupe Plaza Park, and with over 100 microbrew choices — money well spent.

The proceeds go to local start-up charities, and 3,000 tickets are available.

During the week, you can play Bocce Ball at Hans Bier Haus during happy hour, which is every night from 7:30 p.m. to close. They’re on Quenby Street between Kelvin Drive and Kirby Drive.

Local greats like Poison Girl and the Montrose Whole Foods are hosting events, but I recommend you check out the list of participating businesses to dig a little deeper into Houston’s superb culture and cuisine-based offerings this week.

The festival goes through Nov. 18, much to the delight of Houstonians, giving plenty of opportunities to partake in some of the most recent additions to the truly local selection, including, but not limited to Karbach Brewery Co. of downtown origin, Hopadillo — you IPA lovers, Southern Star Brewing Company from Conroe with a particularly potable heady Bombshell Blonde waiting on tap, and the new 8th Wonder Brewery’s offerings, created for your lip-smacking response by the highly acclaimed and revered Eatsie Boys.

Remember, it doesn’t take a lot to make a memorable event out of beer with friends — just good beer and good friends. With the holiday season around the corner, Houston Beer Week reminds us that we should all sincerely wish when toasting, this one is to your health and well-being.

With events taking place around the city, there is bound to be something going on near you. Check out the events online at HoustonBeerWeek.com for further information regarding times and locations.