Smoking bill to be reviewed

A bill that would ban smoking in some areas of campus will be reviewed by the Student Government Association at 7:30 p.m. today.

Before the last senate meeting, many students expected legislation that would ban smoking. Some students went so far as to speak in protest in front of the student senate, but the bill that Natural Science and Mathematics senator Josie Ceasar presented was actually a modification of the current policy.

“We’ve been talking to constituents, and we see that an outright ban is not needed at this moment,” Ceasar said when introducing the bill two weeks ago with a co-author from the Collegiate Cancer Council.

Smoking would be prohibited in covered walkways “including, but not limited to, the PGH breezeway, the breezeway between Cougar Village and Moody Towers Dining Hall, the breezeway between Cynthia Wood Mitchell Center for the Arts and the Jack J. Valenti School of Communication,” according to the bill.

Smoking would also be prohibited on “all pathways adjacent to the M.D. Anderson Memorial Library and Butler Plaza,( … ) all pathways adjacent to the Recreation and Wellness Center ( …and ) the pathways along the University Center Perimeter.”

After the meeting, College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences senator Lee Arnold said that the bill would probably go through “serious editing” in committees before being voted on at the next meeting.

• Thats a reasonable proposal. They get to keep smoking but stay away from those that prefer not to. I hope they also put the area right outside bauer on the list too

• Does this really matter? UH does not even enforce the policies that are already in place. People still smoke regardless of where they are at on campus and security officers and UH police officers walk right past them and say nothing. This is a joke, like most things student run… the daily cougar…