Video Games

Latest ‘Modern Warfare’ impresses

The developers at Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer Games team up take the most-loved features of the Call of Duty franchise to bring gamers “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3”, an impressive and gripping military-based first-person shooter that needs no introduction.

There’s also a new Survival mode, which seems to be a cross between the popular Nazi Zombies mode first introduced in “World at War” and “Black Ops” as well as Horde mode from the “Gears of War” series.

In Survival mode, gamers start off with basic weapons and equipment, which become progressively deadlier. Players have the option of upgrading their arsenal in order to be better prepared for the next round. Of course, this mode shines when playing with a friend.

In terms of the game’s competitive online multiplayer, nearly all the problems that were prevalent in “Black Ops” and “Modern Warfare 2” are gone in “Modern Warfare 3”.

The currency system is the most notable change — players no longer have to save money in order to purchase weapon upgrades or buy contract missions.

Everything is entirely level based — from ranking to specific weapons, equipment and perks.

The killstreaks formerly used to gain advantages over opponents have been revamped into Strike Packages and can be earned in three different ways.

You can earn Assault rewards by racking up kills in a single spawn, while Support rewards are gained by getting kills even after you’ve been taken out and respawned.

Specialist rewards are similar to Assault rewards, only this time players are rewarded with special perks that help your performance in the heat of battle.

Strike Packages offer a great way to rack up points for newer gamers and gives them a fighting chance to take on even the most experienced “Call of Duty” players.

Regarding specific weapon upgrades, repetitive use of the same weapon will earn the player improved gun parts and attachments that can be used to further enhance gameplay.

The more you use and upgrade a certain pistol or favorite assault and sniper rifles, the more gamers will be able to customize them.

But that’s not all — in addition to the usual modes that you would come to expect out of the multiplayer experience, two new modes join the fray: Kill Confirmed and Team Defender.

Team Defender plays like an innovative version of hot potato combined with capture the flag.

One player must hold onto a flag for as long as they can in order to score points for his or her entire team.

Your teammates are able to collect the dog tags of defeated opponents, which opens the door for more cohesive gameplay.

Another upside of the online aspect is that the annoying glitches and unscrupulous hackings are also absent.

In “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3”, everyone seems to play with the same server latency (or lack thereof), and the matchmaking does a splendid job of finding players within a similar ranking range.

There is an Internet-based stat-tracking “Call of Duty: Elite” system that offers a play-by-play look at your online performance.

This social networking attachment does a decent job of keeping in-depth records of past plays, while offering a higher level of convenience for drawing out some strategy.

Server capacity and speed may bring about second thoughts as to whether or not using this feature is worth it.

Hate it or love it, players have to respect the fact that “Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3” is impressive in terms of how well it plays.

Gamers will be addicted to the online mode’s leveling system and may find that Survival and Spec-Ops missions can keep you incredibly busy.

Believe the hype.

• COD fanboy……. Im guessing this author loves eco friendly products, because this game was made from 95 percent recycled material………