Food

Thanksgiving 101: Cooking for the holiday

The perfect turkey:

The characteristics that make up a perfectly roasted fowl are crispy skin and juicy flavorful meat. To meet these standards requires much preparation and patience.

It is not enough to season the skin, which keeps the bird waterproof and will have no problem blocking out flavor.

You can get under the skin at the neck and rub the meat with your choice of herbs and spices mixed with butter or margarine to help keep it moist. You can also stuff the cavity with dressing, fruits or vegetables to get that extra bit of flavor.

Now for the crispy skin. The easiest way to get crispy skin without frying is to air dry the bird.

Air drying simply means to let the bird sit in the fridge uncovered over night. Drying out the skin cuts down the extra cooking time it would take to get the skin crispy and reduces the risk of drying the bird out.

Potatoes, goodness from the Earth

When making mashed potatoes, it all comes down to the potato that you cook with.

The best potatoes to use are Yukon Gold or Fingerling potatoes because they have a high water content and low starch, giving them a fast cooking time and rich, buttery texture when mashed.

For every five pounds of potatoes to be cooked, heat one cup of butter, one cup of heavy cream and a half-cup of sour cream in a sauce pan.

You never want to add anything cold to your potatoes — mashed potatoes are one of the hardest things to reheat once they have gone cold.

After the potatoes are mashed and the dairy products have been added, begin to salt and taste.

Always add salt in small amounts, and remember it is always easier to add than to take away.

Keep them in a casserole dish in the oven at 200 degrees until ready to serve.

The lean, green dish

There’s a pretty simple rule for preparing your greens.

Green beans, cauliflower, asparagus, squash and corn can be paired with the same basic flavor profiles of butter, salt, pepper and bacon.

While in the oven, avoid overcooking your greens or they will lose their chlorophyll and turn brown.

For cauliflower, thin slicing helps promote even cooking and allows for a more visually appealing presentation on the plate.

For delicious asparagus, adding a dash of salt and a bit of olive oil is all it takes. Roast the greens at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes or until the leaves begin to crisp.

From my kitchen to yours, I hope this eases the stress of preparing one of the most celebrated meals of the year. Have a happy and safe Thanksgiving holiday.