Food

Full to the brim with the best seasonal brews

As we enter the holiday season and you stroll gaily past the refrigerated grails of the grocery store’s most sacred aisles, please consider this: Beer can be had at room temperature, too. For instance, there’s delicious Schwartz-style brew from Austin Beer Works.

And yes, we all know that Houston not only surrounds us but extends for eternities in all directions, but there are similar styles of highly-recommended darker beers to accompany the change in season.

When drinking a room-temperature beer, any variety of Stout, especially Imperials, Trappist (monk’s) beer and the usual Guinness work best.

It is well to note that the palest beers are not for the winter season. Their purpose of refreshment after hard work at record-breaking temperature does not apply, thankfully, for the rest of this week — maybe longer if the weather sees fit to give us enough time to wash our winter socks at least once.

Here are a few general temperature guidelines for serving beers this holiday season.

The second darkest segment of the beers that work best for a night around the fireplace with friends is that of the “cellar temperature” variety, coming in at a cool 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Belgian varietals work well here, with a full and warm palate that goes well with gamey meats.

Also recommended at a slightly chilled temperature are traditional British brown ales

On the middle ground, where serving beer begins to affect taste-awareness, we have generally dark lagers, German wheat bears (Hefeweizen) and the rare but highly sought-after altbier.

Most of these unfiltered types go very well with certain fruits of the winter season. For instance, the orange is a traditional Christmas gift because they are harvested just before winter and keep for months.

As such, oranges and cloves are common essences in these beers and our favorite smelly seasonal candles.

In the first signs of a brisk season, some beer drinkers delight in the chilly blast of refreshing witbier.

Also known as Weisse beers or ales, these smooth and cooling types are perfect for a light dinner. Enjoy these lighter-than-most beers at a temperature at 45-50 degrees Fahrenheit for full flavor.

For those that don’t delight in seasonal brews, here’s a final note before the semester ends for those that prefer a glass of wine instead.

So that we can all thoroughly and responsibly celebrate when we finish our finals and click Submit on our exams, mull wine for yourself and guests with which to warm the chilly nights.

• Excellent, well-written article about one of my favorite topics. Now on to Spec's for some Chimay. Why is my paper wrought with grammatical errors, Dr. Baker? Because, the Daily Cougar got me DRUNK!