Women's Basketball

Benefits to losing Landry

Senior guard Porsche Landry will miss the rest of this season and apply for a medical redshirt to compete in 2012-13. In three games this year, Landry averaged 22 points and 3.3 assists per game.  |  Joseph Lefler/The Daily Cougar

Senior guard Porsche Landry will miss the rest of this season and apply for a medical redshirt to compete in 2012-13. In three games this year, Landry averaged 22 points and 3.3 assists per game. | Joseph Lefler/The Daily Cougar

On Wednesday, the Cougars learned that they would be without starting point guard and leading-scorer Porsche Landry for the rest of the season.

Landry, who has played in only three games this season, suffered a concussion in the Cougars’ 66-36 loss to Georgetown on Nov. 19.

This is a devastating loss for the Cougars (2-16, 1-5 Conference USA), who are in the midst of something of a devastating season.

Looking at the bigger picture though, Landry applying for a medical redshirt is a blessing for the Cougars.

For all of their efforts and the injuries they have battled, this year’s Cougar squad is not going to remind anyone of last season’s conference champion. In addition to the loss of Landry, the Cougars have only had backup point guard Mileka Loydrake for four games, forcing several players to play out of position and take over ball-handling duties.

If Landry were healthy, of course she would make the Cougars a more competitive team, but not necessarily one that is a threat to win C-USA.

The Cougars have a highly-touted recruiting class coming in next year to augment this year’s roster, which has several freshmen playing heavy minutes.

Next season, the Cougars will be armed with the standouts from this season, as well as La Marque High School’s Jessieka Palmer, the ninth-best point guard prospect in the nation according to ESPN, as well as 6-foot-2 twin sisters Taylor and Tyler Gilbert. The Cougars will also add three-star recruits Alecia Smith, Bianca Winslow and Marche Amerson.

In addition to her play on the court, Landry will be a great asset for Loydrake, Palmer, Smith and Winslow to learn from.

Landry, a C-USA First Team selection, has demonstrated that she can take over a game, scoring 37 points in the Cougars’ season-opening 63-62 loss to New Mexico State. Maybe next season with more weapons surrounding her, Landry and the Cougars can turn losses like that into victories.