Swimming & Diving

Close call against SMU

The Cougars pushed the Mustangs to the final event of Saturday’s dual meet at the CRWC. UH rallied back with strong diving performances, but lost the match in the 200-free relay.  |  Joseph Lefler/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars pushed the Mustangs to the final event of Saturday’s dual meet at the CRWC. UH rallied back with strong diving performances, but lost the match in the 200-free relay. | Joseph Lefler/The Daily Cougar

The Cougars narrowly lost 155-143 against conference-rival SMU on Saturday at the CRWC, falling in the final event.

The meet was decided by the winner of the 200-free relay in which the Cougars lost 1:28.35-1:32.76.

The Cougars finished first in seven events in the dual meet.

The swimmers started off strong, taking the first five events with Heather Winn as the first-UH winner after finishing in 17:18.23 in the 1,650 free. Winn also went on to finish as the runner-up in the 500 free (5:04.25) with Lizzie Justice taking third in both events.

In the second-to-last event of the day, the 400-yard IM, Reka Kovacs (4:32.86) and Natalie Newcomb (4:40.35) took first and second, further tightening the score with SMU.

The Cougar divers also made a splash with Julia Lonnegren sweeping the 1M (294.38) and 3M (303.90) for the third time this season.