Staff Editorial

Arizona public schools ban Mexican studies

Cultural despots in Arizona are flexing their hegemonic muscles yet again. This time they are taking on, or taking out, textbooks intended for a now defunct Mexican-American studies class.

Earlier this month, Arizona Superintendent for Public Instruction John Huppenthal decided to suspend high school Mexican-American studies classes because he believes they are in violation of ARS 15-122, a law designed to ensure Anglo-culture reigns supreme in the Grand Canyon State.

The law more or less bans Arizona public schools from including classes that portray white people in a negative light. Of course the text of the law doesn’t explicitly say this, but anyone who has paid even the slightest attention to the growing racial tension in Arizona should be able to see through the carefully chosen text of the law.

The law bans classes that advocate ethnic solidarity, “are designed primarily for pupils of a particular ethnic group,” or “promote resentment toward a race or class of people.”

This is interesting, because most high school textbooks are geared toward a particular ethnic group — the group that composes most of our population. Among the snubbed are two books from UH’s Arte Público Press that focus on Hispanic civil rights issues.

It is disturbing that there are still people alive today who are so against diversity that they would not only pass, but also enforce such ethnocentric laws.

What is so threatening about Mexican-American studies courses that they warrant being suspended? Could it be that students in these courses would learn about the discrimination Mexican-Americans in our nation have endured and are still enduring today?

It is important for high school students to learn the entire history of our nation  — not just the history that appeases the majority race.  If America is ever to become post-racial, we cannot hide from the past. Instead, we have to celebrate the many cultures that come together to make our nation so unique.

• Yes, we should be studying Mexican culture in American schools since, as we all know, Mexican school children study American culture in theirs, and Chinese children study American culture as well as their own, etc, etc. Really? Perhaps, while you're busy defending MA rights to have their culture studied, you might bother to notice the canyon between their interest in assimilating as U.S. citizens (not the same as demanding equal rights ) and other cultural/ ethnic groups. And, while I'm at it, Anthropologically speaking, there is no such thing as "race". Biologically speaking, it doesn't exist. Example: many "blacks" in the U.S. would be shocked to learn they are, genetically speaking about 25% "white" due to some 4 centuries of interbreeding of the populations. So, by all means, stand up for a race that doesn't exist.

• Alex – it is Mexican-AMERICAN(!) culture not Mexican culture. Mexican-Americans make up 61% of the district and 71% of one of the high schools where it was banned. If the majority of the students come from one ethnic group then one would think that that heritage should be studied. On top of that European History and British Literature is still offered as full credit classes.

• Nothing has to be racist unless you want to make it be. The law could prevent courses that are too Anglo-focused too. Basically, it sounds like they want to desegrate educational studies, and just roll it all into one, giving no preference to any race. Plus it always seemed that these courses always tended to have a slight bias in favor of the groups they mention, and I feel it'd be better if students could be presented all the facts and possible viewpoints of both sides to form a better opinion of something.

• Personally in public school studies we should foucus more on the basics first and foremost. If you want to go study what ever hypenated American studies then do so on your own dime. When in america we can't even get students to basic reading, writing and math, let alone you ask them about the history of america. The stare at you like deer in headlights when asked simple questions that I knew since I was in grade school. Our education system should foucus on getting people ready for the real world or college. There you can learn about whatever you think you want to in life.

• why dont the interested parties by the books from the school district . find a place to meet and continue their studies instead of crying discrimination in their beer every time they turn around
    then there wouldnt be anyone to complain about what youre reading