Movies

‘Tails’ shot down in both story, acting

Actors Michael B. Jordan, David Oyelowo and Nate Parker portray members of the Tuskegee Airmen in “Red Tails.” The film is based on the book, “Red Tails: An Oral History of the Tuskegee Airmen,” by John B. Holway.  |  Courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

Actors Michael B. Jordan, David Oyelowo and Nate Parker portray members of the Tuskegee Airmen in “Red Tails.” The film is based on the book, “Red Tails: An Oral History of the Tuskegee Airmen,” by John B. Holway. | Courtesy of Twentieth Century Fox

In World War II, a crew of African-American fighter pilots was kept from their full potential due to segregation but was finally given a chance to show their worth.

The film “Red Tails” had the same chance, but it turned out to be mediocre at best.

“Red Tails” opened Jan. 20 and, in spite of its mediocrity, still resulted in an opening weekend gross of over $18 million and a number-two spot on the box office list.

As of now, it has grossed almost $34 million and reached the number-four spot in the box office. More than two hours long, it isn’t exactly worth the money or your time to see it.

Starring Nate Parker, Tristan Wilds, Elijah Kelley, Method Man and Ne-Yo, the film relies heavily on the smaller performances of Terrence Howard, Bryan Cranston and Cuba Gooding Jr. With the silly performances by the leading actors, the higher caliber appeal isn’t enough to save it.

Cranston plays Col. William Mortamus, a Southern racist who delays the major achievements of the “Red Tails” — the name the group assumes.

The performances and depiction of the white characters, at first, are shown as racist morons who are inadequate when compared to the Red Tails.

The film is based on actual events inspired by John B. Holway’s book “Red Tails: An Oral History of the Tuskegee Airmen.”

From executive producer George Lucas, it seems to have been a small project with an estimated budget of $58 million to support his fascination with fighter planes and action sequences through clouded skies.

With the lack of quality from this Lucasfilm movie, it goes to show that Lucas has a curse when making films outside of “Star Wars.”

Lucas has been completely involved with the making of additions to the “Star Wars” saga — it seems to be all he’s good for after the series’ huge success, with the exception being the “Indiana Jones” films he collaborated on with Steven Spielberg over the past decades.

On the same note, the movie seems to use the same sound effects used in parts of “Star Wars” and “Indiana Jones” films. And with a sub par score, it is difficult to get involved in the story.

The best parts are the fight scenes, even though they are boring. These scenes are better than longer scenes in between that only feature bad dialogues and acting.

One plus is that the costume design is fairly well done.

“Red Tails” overall is not worthwhile and the inevitable redemption of the crew and acceptance from their fellow white soldiers is incredibly weak and forgettable.

• Really, your depiction and write up of the movie sucks, go watch it again if you have not…..it's much better then the garbage that's usually shown in today's theaters hence why I don't patronize "hollywood" and as a veteran Red Tails is a must see and was job well done!!! Folks see the movie don't believe everything these so called lame movie critiques write.

• this review is by far the worst. just go and see the movie for yourself and dont let idiots like this ruin it for you

• you seem very bias and racist… inwhich you fail to "act" like you knew or known that blacks were HUNG at one point of the time… the movie showed that there were still good "white" men in America too! For this review… if you are working for someone, you should really be fired!

• I liked the movie. maybe because I just like WW2 films, and I really like to see realistic WW2 hardware in action. You see, I grew up in the 60s watching good WW2 movies totally ruined by the anacronsitic use of technology or dialogue. Remember the "Battle of the Bulge", "The Longest Day" and "Patton"….great movies that , to me, were something less than great because they used Viet Nam era tanks in the filming. Okay, maybe you think I'm a stickler, but hey, there's thousands of us that were model builders, history buffs, kids that grew up on grandpas stories of the Sherman, the P-40, the P-51, etc. Seriously, how would it look if a Civil War re-enactor used a Tommy Gun at the Battle of Bull Run? Anyhow, I give kudos to the filmmakers for striving to keep it realistic. As for acting? Ehh. Was the acting in "Patton" or "The Longest Day" any better?? This was a story that needed to be told.

• And as for Ryan….yes , you entitled to your opinion, and yes, the acting was in some cases, stilted, clumsy, etc..perhaps due to a bad adaptation….but to rationalize your review on ratings given to it by Rotten Tomatoes is a very weak defense of your writing. Before you wrote this piece, you should have educated yourself on the actual history of these events, it might have given you another view of the subject matter, and that , truth be told, some of those in power back then who tried to keep these Tuskeegee warriors from defending America, were "morons". And lighten up dude. Some movies were made just to be enjoyed for what they are….a feast for the eyes and senses.