Track & Field

Cougars build momentum

Isaiah Sweeney and the Cougars took five-first place finishes at the Houston Indoor Invitational this weekend. Sweeney finished fourth in the 60m dash. | File Photo/The Daily Cougar

UH finished first place in five different events in the Houston Indoor Invitational & Multi’s on Friday and Saturday at Yeoman Fieldhouse.

Head Coach Leroy Burrell said that the Cougars have to use these meets to broaden what they are able to do.

“Considering that we won five events and we did not run a majority of our lead runners, I am really excited,” he said. “We had numerous personal bests, I am really satisfied of where we are at this point.”

Junior Megan Frausto placed first in the women indoor pentathlon. Frausto finished first in three of the five events, winning in the high jump, long jump, and 800-meter run. Frausto also set the top mark for Conference USA in the women’s pentathlon, scoring 4000 points.

“I am really excited for her because she has worked very hard and got herself in great shape, and to come out and perform at that level this early in the season is outstanding,” Burrell said.

Junior Emily Knokwan also finished first in the women’s weight throw event with a mark of 17.18 meters.

In the women’s pole vault, junior Karley King took first place, posting the top mark in C-USA.

“She is a great teammate and leader, she is the captain of our team and we are glad that we have a little more time with her this year and next,” Burrell said.

The men’s team got off to a great start in day two as UH swept the top three places of the men shot-put competition. Jacob Schultz placed first with 17.40 meters, second place was Junior John Fortune with 17.15 meters, and Darrel Hill took third with 16.88 meters.

John Cantu took first in the men 5000 meter run with a time of 16:11.65.

The men and women distance medley teams got both second places as the men finished with a time of 10:09.89 and the women with 12:17.97.