Movies

New film weathers the storm

The new film by Joe Carnahan (“Smokin’ Aces,” “Narc”) is one of the most intense cinema experiences to date.

“The Grey” is the story of tough, scum-of-the-earth oil drillers in Alaska and their struggle to survive against harsh weather conditions and a pack of wolves after a plane crashes deep in the Alaskan wilderness.

Based on the short story “Ghost Walker” by Ian Mackenzie Jeffers, “The Grey” is a film about hope and the will to live — and the strain that they inflict.

Liam Neeson leads the cast as the man in charge of protecting the drillers from wolves before and after the crash, and he portrays the toughest character that he has had to do since “Taken.”

Also starring in the picture are Dermot Mulroney, Dallas Roberts, Frank Grillo, James Badge Dale, Nonso Anonzie and Joe Anderson.

“The Grey” is like a new version of “The Edge” with wolves that are relentless in their stalking and killing.

The strongest point of the film is the fact that you get to know each character and care for them as they are killed off throughout the movie.

It is a survival film where the audience feels it every time someone is brutally taken by the wolves.

Filmed in a gritty and realistic way, the characters are followed closely. This makes the audience feel like they are right there with the actors.

The strong acting and settings in each of the films’ scenes establishes the extreme despair of the situation.

“The Grey” is the epitome of a survival film and how far they have come from films like “Jaws,” “Deep Blue Sea” and “Lake Placid.”

It is also going to be difficult to be topped in its genre, by films of the future as well as the past.

“The Grey” is a tough viewing experience but it is unlike anything else you will ever experience.

Neeson is dynamic as he leads these pessimistic outcasts through the tough wilderness to more despair, but with enough hope to keep them alive as long as possible.

Even with being suicidal himself after a personal tragedy, Neeson’s character Ottway finds the meaning in life through the toughest lesson of all.

If you are a fan of survival movies like the ones mentioned above, “The Grey” is a must-see. It is a worthwhile emotional experience that not too many movies can provoke out of their audiences.

It is thoroughly enjoyable for the entire hour-and-57-minute duration.

Also, be sure to stay for the short scene after the ending credits for an extra discussion regarding the movie’s conclusion.