Track & Field

A&M meet offers another chance to sharpen up before C-USA Championship

For a second-consecutive week, the Cougars will take on some of the top competition in the nation when they compete in the Texas A&M Invitational at the McFerrin Athletic Center’s Gillian Indoor Track on Saturday in College Station.
In addition to host-school Texas A&M, the Cougars will have to handle Alabama, Baylor, Missouri, Rice, TCU, USC, and UTEP.

Head coach Leroy Burrell feels the level of competition at last weekend’s New Balance Invitational helped prepare the Cougars for the Texas A&M challenge.

“We are going to have a similar situation with the Texas A&M meet, real strong national group of athletes, a pretty similar group of what we saw in New York,” Burrell said.

Megan Frauston comes into the meet ranked in the top 25 in the nation in the pentathlon and high jump. Also ranked in the top 25 are Tai’shea Reese in long jump, Whitney Harris in the 60m, DeeMeka Jones in the 60m hurdles, and Karley King in pole vault.

While for the men Erroll Nolan is ranked among the top 25 in the 60m, 200m, and 400m. The men’s 4×400 relay team is also ranked.

The meet will serve as another step toward preparing for the Conference USA Championship.

“This is getting into championship time for us,” Burrell said. “We need to start seeing our athletes working towards getting themselves in a strong position in the conference.”