Pop star’s song sets bad example

It’s been three years since the altercation between Rihanna and Chris Brown occurred, an incident that left Chris Brown with a felony charge and an abusive reputation.

It seems that he’s managed to gain Rihanna’s forgiveness; she featured Brown in her new remix of the song “Birthday Cake.”

The importance of the pair’s new song goes deeper than mere celebrity drama, but the song and its overly sexual lyrics have critics absolutely disgusted.

Rihanna, who was seen on Good Morning America in 2009 discussing her concern with the dangers of domestic violence, appeared to declare herself as the symbol for abused women.

However, she seems to have changed her role over the years.

Everybody deserves a second chance and if the tone of reconcilement in Rihanna’s new song was intended to let fans know it was time to move on, then critics would likely have kinder thoughts on the matter.

But Rihanna’s violently sexual lyrics in the new release, accompanied by the equally-as-vulgar Brown, come off as more careless than forgiving.

The song raises several questions. Is it Rihanna’s job to be conscious of the effect her decisions have on fans, especially the younger ones?

What message does Rihanna’s choice actually send, forgiveness or irresponsibility?

Following the song’s release, Twitter’s trending topic “#womanbeater” expressed a number of people who disapproved.

However, some girls’ posts not only condoned, but also invited, Chris Brown’s abuse. One girl tweeted, “Call me crazy but I would let Chris Brown beat me up any day.”

It’s certain, whether Rihanna acknowledges it or not, that her decisions do have an influence on her younger fans.

In Brown’s song, “Holla at Me,” his lines don’t necessarily scream reform. “One more drink for these (women) and it’s over, because I’m gonna strike that, something like a cobra” is probably not the best thing to say while trying to prove you respect women.

Brown and Rihanna seem to be unaware of the impact their actions have on their fan base.

Brown’s lyrics lessen the validity of any claims he tries to make that he’s changed for the better, and Rihanna’s decision — which seems to contradict everything she once stood for — suggests she’s headed in the wrong direction.

This could have dangerous repercussions not only for her, but also her fans.

Lucas Sepulveda is a creative writing and media production junior and may be reached at [email protected].

• Buying a Chris Brown album is a betrayal of women. The only way to punish someone like him is to turn him into a pauper – never buy or listen to another Chris Brown song.

I wish local radio stations would refuse to play the new song on which Chris Brown collaborated (which will remain nameless as I refuse to promote his work). I don't understand how this is acceptable, but swearing on the radio is not.

Beating a human being savagely is far more vulgar than an F-bomb. (Something the DC could do well to learn…)

• Pop stars have the professional lifespan of an ailing fruit fly, and for the most part, about the same amount of brainpower as a fruit fly.