Music

DJ shares beats, acts in top show

Broadcast journalism major Aimee Rivas hosts “Pulse” on Coog Radio, UH’s first and only student-run radio station.  |  Courtesy of Kim Grady

Broadcast journalism major Aimee Rivas hosts “Pulse” on Coog Radio, UH’s first and only student-run radio station. | Courtesy of Kim Grady

With a love of music and aspirations to never have to work a typical job, Aimee Rivas is making the most of her disc jockey stint at Coog Radio.

Rivas hosts “Pulse,” the show with the highest listenership on Coog Radio, according to CR administrators.

“Pulse” features music and artists from the electronic and dance genres. The show is a starting point for Rivas.

“I’m going to school for broadcast journalism, so this is something that I will definitely use in my career,” Rivas said.

Along with her gig at Coog Radio, Rivas interns with the Rod Ryan show on Houston radio station 94.5 The Buzz. Rivas is building her experience in order to pursue her future endeavors as a radio host.

“I love the music and I plan on working in radio when I graduate,” Rivas said.

Rivas mainly features music from the EDM scene, but also throws on some drum-and-bass, dubstep and some hard dance at times.

The show is a chance for Rivas and her audience to meet new artists and interview them about their style of music. Most of her guests are budding artists still building their careers.

The show is also a chance for Rivas to ensure that her path doesn’t end in a routine nine-to-five job.

“I didn’t want one of those boring office jobs. I wanted to do something with my ideas and be heard,” Rivas said, adding that she wants to “speak to the world.”

On the show, artists get the chance to discuss how their lives have inspired them to make music and share how their journey began.

One of the artists that Rivas interviewed recently was DJ Daze One, also known as Abel Moreno.

Moreno said that he likes “Pulse” and Rivas because she provides a platform that is a necessity for artists like himself.

“She is doing what a lot of other shows aren’t doing and that is giving me, as an artist, a chance to show the world the skills I have,” Moreno said.

“Pulse” is gaining new listeners every week, Rivas said.

“Be sure to listen to the show, I have giveaways every week for Underworld Fridays that you don’t want to miss,” Rivas said, referring to the local night at the Montrose club, Numbers.

Visit www.coogradio.com to tune into Rivas as she hosts “Pulse” every Wednesday from 5 to 7 p.m.