Greek Life

Fraternity hosts block party for charity

The Eta Mu Alphas hosted a school-wide block party Thursday in the University Center circle to collect clothes for Africans and to encourage students to register to vote.
The Alphas teamed up with UH Metropolitan Volunteer Program and got 100 students to register to vote.
Jamikel Jenkins, treasurer of Eta Mu, was expecting about 150 registrants, while 75 students had already registered by 1p.m.
More than 75 pounds of clothes were donated to “Shirt Off My Back”, a national organization rooted in Accra Ghana, Africa. The fraternity has been involved with the organization since 2010.
The Alphas, who like to consider themselves the people’s chapter, proved this self-conviction during the student friendly event. There was free food, drinks and games. Tickets to ‘H-Town Stomp Down’, the largest step show in Texas, also hosted by the Eta Mu Alphas, were given out as prizes. The block party featured two DJ’s — DJ Bluetooth and DJ AudiTory.
DJ AudiTory, a UH junior, was excited to do the event.
“I enjoy this type of event because I can do different styles of music and different people enjoy it. It’s always a plus when it’s for a good cause.”
The entire UC was reserved by the chapter in order to affect as many students as possible. Students were gathered around the whole UC enjoying the music and games