Track & Field

Cougars have first-place day at Rice Invitational

The Cougar’s women’s team put together their best performance of the season, as they finished with four first-place medals of the six obtained by UH at the Rice Victor Lopez Invitational.

“I think we had a really good meet, primarily on the women’s side,” head coach Leroy Burrell said. “We had quality performances, we had a couple athletes PR (personal record).”

Burrell said that there are a lot of things to be satisfied about the meet.

Senior Tai’Shea Reese led the women’s long jump with a leap of 6.09-meter to place first. Junior Karley King added another first place finish for the Cougars with a mark 3.85-meter in the women’s pole vault.

The Cougars swept the first-place positions in both men’s and women’s 800-meter run. Anthony Coleman finished with a time of 1:52.35 for the men, while Kat Ducommun finished with 2:16.16 for the women.

Burrell said Coleman ran very well.

The women’s 4×400 team achieved a first-place finish with their best performance of the season with a time of 44.09. Reese, Whitney Harris, Alicia Perkins, and Kiersten Brewer made up the team.

“I think we are quite ready to run real fast,” said Burrell on the women’s 4×400 team.

Burrell said that the only disappointing thing about the meet was that Harris came out a little banged up.

Junior sprinter Errol Nolan claimed first place in the men’s 200-meter dash with a time of 20.79.

“Nolan opened up pretty solidly in the 200, we are not quite at full strength there yet,” said Burrell. “We still have a couple athletes who are banged up.”