Staff Editorial

Anti-gay group’s strategy revealed

The National Organization for Marriage has been outed. A current investigation into NOM’s illegal campaign finance practices has brought to light how the organization develops its strategies for courting individuals into its anti-LGBT movement.

The documents, obtained by the Human Rights Campaign, reveal that the organization relies partly on racially-driven strategies to carry out its agenda.

“The strategic goal…is to drive a wedge between gays and blacks — two key Democratic constituencies. Find, equip, energize and connect African American spokespeople for marriage; develop a media campaign around their objections to gay marriage as a civil right; provoke the gay marriage base into responding by denouncing these spokesmen and women as bigots,” read a passage of the document.

HRC President Joe Solmonese called the material a “game changer.”

“Nothing beats hearing from the horse’s mouth exactly how callous and extremist this group really is.”

This is indeed a game changer. NOM is often portrayed by its opponents as an extremist organization. It will be quite difficult for NOM to continue to question this portrayal.

NOM President Brian Brown issued a statement on the release of the information. According to Brown, advocates of same-sex marriage promote the issue as a civil right. He disagrees with this characterization.

“We proudly bring together people of different races, creeds and colors to fight for our most fundamental institution: marriage,” he said.

However, it would be more appropriate to say that NOM turns people of different groups against each other in order to deprive LGBT-identified individuals of their civil rights.

Now that NOM’s strategy has been brought to light, hopefully the rest of the nation will see what  LGBT advocates have known for so long: Hate groups like NOM are the ones with radical agendas.