Movies

‘The Hunger Games’ enthralls fans

Jennifer Lawrence, who is pictured here at the 83rd annual Academy Awards that took place back in February 2011, stars as Katniss Everdeen, the lead role in the film “The Hunger Games.” The motion picture debuted this past weekend.  |  Wiki Commons

Jennifer Lawrence, who is pictured here at the 83rd annual Academy Awards that took place back in February 2011, stars as Katniss Everdeen, the lead role in the film “The Hunger Games.” The motion picture debuted this past weekend. | Wiki Commons

Panem — the remains of what once was North America and now home to 12 deprived districts surrounding the wealthy Capitol — rebelled, causing severe punishments to take action. Every year the districts sacrifice one boy and girl each who must compete to the death in an arena controlled by the Capitol.

Based on Suzanne Collins’ novel, “The Hunger Games” premiered at midnight on Friday and instantly compelled fans, resulting in an opening weekend gross of $68.25 million — the highest gross for a non-sequel film and the fifth highest Friday gross.

The debut of The Hunger Games trilogy grossed $19.75 million from midnight shows, ranking seventh on the list of best midnight grosses. The sequels “Catching Fire” and “Mockingjay” are scheduled to follow.

Jennifer Lawrence stars as the main character, Katniss Everdeen from District 12.

Katniss is a family provider, hunter and older sister to the character Primrose, played by Willow Shields, who is selected by a random draw for the annual Capitol Hunger Games.

Instead, Katniss volunteers to fight Primrose’s battles to ensure her safety.

The cast includes characters living in all 12 districts as well as the Capitol.

Josh Hutcherson stars as Peeta Mellark, the chosen boy from District 12; his fellow cast members include Liam Hemsworth, Elizabeth Banks and Woody Harrelson.

Lawrence’s portrayal as Katniss is moving — throughout the entire film, Katniss showcases that the lives of others are more important than her own.

Each viewer can feel the heart of Katniss and sense that she will stop at nothing to prove to the Capitol they cannot control everything.

Executive Producers Robert Bissell, Suzanne Collins and Louise Rosner and Director Gary Ross, who has allegedly already signed up to direct the sequel “Catching Fire,” built a film that keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Architecture, fashion and technology were all factors that had strong presence throughout the picture that alone makes it one of this year’s must see films.

Despite the film’s triumphs, it lacked significant detail that had originally been made clear in the novel.

The relationship that Katniss had with Peeta before the games is briefly noted in flashbacks in the film, but offer little insight into their history together. Viewers who have not read the novel were lead to formulate their own idea of what their relationship was prior to the games.

“The Hunger Games” is a heartfelt journey in a world unlike that of our own encompassing compassion, courage, determination, fear and love.

For fans of the novel trilogy as well as new fans that have yet to read the novel, the 74th annual Hunger Games will be an event to be remembered.