City

25,000 guests fill park for Japanese festival

The Japan Festival featured demonstrations of traditional Japanese arts, such as martial arts, dances and vocal performances during the two-day event at Hermann Park.  |  Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

The Japan Festival featured demonstrations of traditional Japanese arts, such as martial arts, dances and vocal performances during the two-day event at Hermann Park. | Catherine Lara/The Daily Cougar

Vendors and performances sprawled out over Hermann Park and more than 25,000 guests flooded the grounds for Houston’s 19th annual Japan Festival on Saturday and Sunday.

“The Japan-America Society of Houston instituted the festival in 1993 in the hopes of furthering their mission to develop a stronger relationship between the greater Houston community and Japan,” says the event’s website.

Some of the entertainment featured included a martial arts stage, traditional Japanese festival games and informational booths on things like the Japanese space program.

“This festival provides the people here with a chance to experience Japanese culture through art and musical performances,” said Japanese professor Helen Nakamoto, who performed at the festival with the Japanese Ladies Chorus of Houston.

Omar Escobedo, a Hotel and Restaurant Management senior, said he was impressed by what the food vendors had to offer.

“You can’t find a lot of the food here in local Japanese restaurants,” Escobedo said.

The food stalls offered attendees treats like cold soba noodles, sushi and the popular takoyaki — a ball-shaped dumpling filled with octopus, shrimp and diced vegetables.

Other activities included a cosplay competition and a yukata photo shoot for women in Hermann Park’s own Japanese Garden.