Softball

Cougars continue climb up conference ladder

The Cougars continued their ascension in the Conference USA standings this weekend, taking two-of-three from UAB in Birmingham, Ala.

The Blazers (20-13, 7-2 C-USA) took the first game of the series 3-2, and UH (20-15, 9-3) responded Saturday by winning 2-1. The Blazers had a chance to take the series, but threw it away.

In the rubber match of the series, UH’s 6-5 win was aided by five UAB errors. The Cougars clung to a 6-3 lead heading into the bottom of the sixth before the Blazers scored two runs on starter Diedre Outon. With the tying run on third, Bailey Watts came in relief and got the Cougars out of the jam.

“I don’t think it was our prettiest game of the year, but on day two when you’re in midseason of conference play, you sometimes just have to find a way to win,” head coach Kyla Holas said.

Outon earned the win, her seventh of the season, going five innings, allowing five earned runs while striking out four. Watts picked up the save, her first of the season, by setting down four batters, while striking out two and not allowing a hit.

The win puts the Cougars a game up on the Blazers, and a half-game back of Tulsa for first in C-USA.

The Cougars face another challenge this week, when they play a mid-week double header against Texas State (22-11, 8-2 Southland Conference) on Wednesday at Cougar Softball Stadium.