Student Government

First meeting of 48th senate to feature presidential veto

The 48th Student Government Association senate will hold its first meeting at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Rockwell Pavilion in M.D. Anderson Memorial Library.

The only legislation on the agenda is a presidential veto of the Medical Amnesty Protocol, called the Good Samaritan Act.

The bill, written by Michael McHugh, would provide limited amnesty to students who call for medical aid in drug- or alcohol-related medical emergencies.

The students would not be subject to sanctions for violating certain rules pertaining to drug and alcohol use and possession in the student handbook as long as they meet the dean of students’ requirements.

The veto was made by Michael Harding, who said he will release a statement today explaining it.

• Just a minor correction…. It's the 4th administration that will be inaugurated this Wednesday, not 48th

• Pure politics at work here. Harding signed on as a sponsor, as well as the SGA VP and Speaker, along with 16 other Senators. Half of these senators voted against the bill because of politics and personal vendettas, including Honors College Senator Maggie McCartney, and Business Senator Rani Ramchandani. They voted for the bill before voting against it twenty minutes later. Senators keep saying they "did not have time" to read the bill, but in reality, this bill was on the agenda for three months before being brought up for a vote. The Substance Abuse and Prevention Committee has tirelessly worked on this bill for seven months to ensure support from the Dean of Students Office and Vice President of Student Affairs. It is important for people to realize that politics should never get in the way of saving lives. In this case, they are not just killing a bill, they are killing people.

• Please, Michael. With all due respect, you have ZERO CREDIBILITY with the student body right now. Do us all a favor and transfer somewhere out of state before UH finds a way to expel you. Haven't you done enough to embarrass this school and the people who go here?

• ….if they had a personal vendetta, why would they vote against a bill that had 16 other sponsors, that might include their friends….doesn't make sense. Maybe they just didn't like the bill.

• If they didn't like the bill they never would have sponsored it in the first place. Their friends that sponsored the bill voted against it as well. The vote was split along party lines from the 2011 election.

• Regardless, your opinion doesn't amount to much considering the amount of election fraud you committed in your campaign, Michael. That was without question a huge embarrassment to our university.

• Harding actually took initiative over something? This is a first throughout the whole year. What a way to go out I guess.

• Harding finally learned how to be President. Too bad it's after his term is over. Great guy, but seriously my 4 yr old sister is smarter than he is.

• recorded phone message of Harding admitting guilt to fraud in last years election. Gets off free.

Judges say there’s no evidence against McHugh and the ignorant condescend him.