Movies

Local film a ‘natural’ surprise

From Houston-born writer and director, Robbie Pickering, “Natural Selection” is an impressive feature film debut.

The film is about a barren woman named Linda (Rachael Harris) who takes a road trip from suburban Texas to Florida to find her husband Abe’s (John Diehl) illegitimate son, Raymond (Matt O’Leary). Linda, based on Pickering’s own mother, is a sweet, devout Christian while Raymond is a trashy, impolite, and hilarious fugitive with a big heart.

Linda’s previously sheltered world turns upside down during her adventures with Raymond. The interactions that follow with these characters make a witty and funny film that is truly a must see.

The film itself is what you would get from a mixture of Wes Anderson and the Coen Brothers, although Pickering would disagree.

During the Cinema Arts Festival Houston in November, Pickering said he obtained inspiration mainly from filmmakers such as Robert Altman and Hal Ashby. Pickering also put to use a method used by Spike Lee — making fun of people he knows and understands for the sake of storytelling.

In terms of screenwriting, Pickering said it’s “a very important and difficult task.” The script for his film was one of the strongest points of it all, along with the performances — especially Harris’.

“Natural Selection” is a surprising film that serves as a great illustration of character development. The chemistry between Harris and O’Leary is outstanding and unforgettable — both have never been better. It can be watched again and again.

Pickering’s film was a huge success at the South by Southwest Film Festival, winning every award it was nominated for. The film also earned Roger Ebert’s respect by winning Golden Thumb awards for Pickering and Harris. Had the film had an opening day with a bigger audience for its 2011 completion, the Academy Awards might have been a realistic inevitability.

Pickering has successfully made a Texas-born film that will serve as inspiration for aspiring Houston filmmakers.

The film opened Friday at Sundance Cinemas.