Staff Editorial

McCarthyism tries to make a comeback

McCarthyism could be making a comeback if one Florida congressman has his way. Congressman Allen West (R-Fla.) told supporters at a town hall meeting on Tuesday that he believes over 80 democrats in the legislature are members of the Communist Party.

That’s right. He didn’t say they were Communist leaning. Oh, no. He said they were actual members of the party.

“What percentage of the American legislature do you think are card-carrying Marxists or International Socialist?” the moderator of the event asked West.

“It’s a good question,” answered a seriously faced West, before grimacing and looking up at the ceiling while composing his answer.  “I believe there’s about 78 to 81 members of the Democrat Party who are members of the Communist Party. It’s called the Congressional Progressive Caucus.”

Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) said he objected to “being associated with Stalin or Khrushchev.” But should we really believe Frank? He looks pretty convincing as a communist if you photoshop a Stalin moustache onto his face. Perhaps that’s why he goes facial hair free — he doesn’t want to attract attention to his secret membership.

“It is exactly the opposite of those of us in the Congressional Progressive Caucus who are in support of freedom, in support of democracy, in support of people’s basic rights and civil liberties,” Frank told The Huffington Post. “Communism is really a reference to some of the worst human rights abuses of our time … It is meant to delegitimize people and allow no basis for debate. It’s a very nasty label.”

This is a nasty label indeed. Even Libero Della Piana, a vice-chairman of the national Communist Party said he thought West’s allegations were “absurd.” Della Piana said there are no Communist Party members in Congress. “I just think it’s an absurd way to cast a shadow over his colleagues. It’s kind of a sad ploy,” he said. “It’s just guilt by association taken to an extreme.”

• You need to get it right before you write it!! That is not a direct quote from Allen West and shame on you for misquoting. It is understandable that you are concerned about Col. West's statement which highlights a reason why there is such a division in America, but at least get his quote right. Huffington Post got it more correct.
    From Huffington Post –
    West warned constituents at a Tuesday town hall event that he's "heard" that dozens of his Democratic colleagues in the House are members of the Communist Party, the Palm Beach Post reported. There are currently 190 House Democrats.

• Wow…. Just Wow…

I hope he suffers the same fate at Joseph McCarthy. I understand and believe in freedom of speech, but there is a fine line between expressing one's beliefs and intentionally causing harm. Anyone who believes there are dozens of "Stalin-like" communists in the US House are either stupid or lying.

• I think the general American Public/people need to wake up and really get involved with the political process and what their reps stand for. The liberal left is and has been leaning towards socialism for quite some time. What's sad is people (like the comment by Casey above–example) don't believe their government is capable of such things nor do they believe that there might be people in our congress that are; until it's too late. Your government, my government, want to control you from every God given right you have. If you dont want that to happen, get involved and make a stand and more importantly LEARN about the political process and the reps you vote in! Open and expand your mind!