Events

Poets bring histories to the table

The Student Program Board and the Council of Ethnic Organizations hosted the inaugural Poetry Slam featuring poets Bobby LaFebre and Carlos Robson on March 13 at the World Affairs Lounge in the University Center.

Cultural Programming Director Erica Pat helped put together the Poetry Slam and expressed her enthusiasm for the event.

“Having the two performers talk about their walks in life and raising multi-cultural awareness and diversity is just really awesome,” Pat said.

The two poets were able to sit down and get up close and personal about their history as poets while beverages and free food were served.

“I studied the elements of hip-hop in college, which established me with the abilities to rhyme,” Robson said. “I filled in for a poetry event and it all started there.”

The two poets spoke about humanity, race and religion. Some of the poems were parodies from actual situations.

LeFebre also expressed his feelings about culture diversity.

“Maintaining a culture and being informed about culture is key, there are a lot of trends and statistics,” LeFebre said.

While LeFebre spoke about culture, Robson spoke about war and life-learning lessons. He mentioned the subjects of living and existing.

The poets concluded their presentations by ending the night with questions and comments from audience members.