Foreign student explores America, UH

Foreign exchange student Yousif Shams experienced a culture shock when he first landed in America. He looks forward to returning home for work after graduating.  |  Courtesy of Yousif Shams

Foreign exchange student Yousif Shams experienced a culture shock when he first landed in America. He looks forward to returning home for work after graduating. | Courtesy of Yousif Shams

Saudi Arabia, a country of 27 million people whose primary language is Arabic, was home to 18-year-old Yousif Shams, a recent level-five language student who came to the United States in 2011 in hopes of obtaining the American dream.

Shams was born in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia and was the third child of four who had longed to move to the US to obtain a future filled with success. After his older brother moved to the US, Shams possessed more than enough motivation to embark on his own journey to America.

“I came to the US so that once I graduate I will have a better chance to have a good job back home after finishing my bachelor’s and master’s (degrees),” Shams said.

He aspires to be a surgeon.

“I expect on graduating in 10 years from the University with both degrees.”

Overall, Shams enjoyed the transition process from Saudi Arabia to the US. This is especially after being greeted by a group of Arabic students on the day of his orientation that helped him feel welcome.

“The process was okay,” Shams said. “It’s going — there are always things that can be made better and faster, but for the most part it’s okay.”

Drawing is one of Shams’ hobbies, but he was unaware of various art organizations such as the Blaffer Student Association that would match his outside interests.

“I would like to get involved in an art organization on campus,” Shams said. “I wish I had been informed about it earlier. All the clubs and organizations should be present on orientation days to better inform students of the groups that match their interests.”

Foreign students like Shams may have a more difficult adjustment to adapting to UH. A transfer or foreign exchange student group may help suffice this issue.

“If there was a transfer organization I would join it,” Shams said. “I would like to see something like that on campus in the future.”

Still, Shams enjoys the freedom and endless opportunities that are offered not only as a student, but as a citizen too.

“The culture is different,” Shams said. “It’s more of a freedom culture; you can do whatever you want. In Saudi Arabia, the culture is stricter.”

Shams initially thought his transition was going to be difficult as he knew he would face language issues by picking up English as a second language in the US. After 10 months of language courses, Shams came to refute his original transition process.

“It wasn’t as hard as I thought it was going to be (learning fluent English),” Shams said. “It’s not hard, but it does take practice.”

Outside of school and drawing, Shams is enjoying the stateside and likes being close to his older brother who lives in San Antonio.

“It’s fun here,” said Shams. “Especially hanging out with friends downtown and meeting other foreign people who come from different cultures, I miss my bed at home, but nothing else. I want to show that nothing hurts. I had a good transition.”