Student Government

Senate talks hate speech, bylaws

The Student Government Association discussed hate speech on campus and an amendment to the constitution and bylaws at the senate meeting Wednesday at the Rockwell Pavilion in the M.D. Anderson Library.

CLASS Senator Yessenia Chavez said she received a complaint from an LGBT advocate about hearing hate speech on campus from a member of the Bulldog Ministries. The ministry is known for their stance against the LGBT community, atheists and abortion.

“Hate speech is very prevalent and when people listen to it they can become victims of it,” Chavez said. “When there is hate speech being said on campus, it hurts me and it hurts my students too.”

Chavez asked the senate if there was anything that could be done to prevent hate speech on campus without violating the freedom of speech.

Sergeant at Arms Henry Velman said there is a difference between free speech and hate speech, but not much can be done unless the student breaks written rules.

“As far as what you can do to stop it, counter protest is the best alternative,” Velman said.

Social Work Senator Josephine Tittsworth said the senate could create a resolution to make a motion against hate speech.

“The best you can do as a senator in the SGA is to draft a resolution saying the student body does not support hate words, hate speech, and then present it to the SGA as a resolution,” Tittsworth said. “A resolution is simply a position of the senate.”

Constitution and bylaws amendment

SGA President Cedric Bandoh’s timeline to bring the constitution and bylaws amendments to the senate by next week was pushed back after a meeting with the task force.

“We saw we needed to take a little more time to make sure we get it right the first time, because what we are doing here is going to totally change the organization,” Bandoh said.

The constitution currently allows for members of the Court of Appeals to also be members of the hearing board, which Bandoh calls a “huge contradiction.”

“You’re going to have the same people who just decided the case also deciding your University board hearing decision,” Bandoh said. “That’s why we need to make a constitutional amendment to remove the court of appeals from that and to have independent students serve on the University hearing board.”

Bandoh said he hopes to have the amendments to the bylaws and code completed and voted on by the end of the summer and implemented in the fall semester.

Biker legislation

Senator Tanzeem Chowdhury said a committee meeting will be called to discuss the University’s policy on motorcycle handicap parking. “That’s going to be done hopefully on Monday and brought to the senate floor on Wednesday,” Chowdhury said.

• I think calling religious beliefs hate speech spits in the face of our First Amendment rights of religion and speech, and attempting to legislate this issue could actually constitute a violation of both. We also have freedom of assembly on this campus and this country. While we do not have to agree with Bulldog Ministries, we do have to observe their right to say what they want to say. Humans have free will to decide what they believe. If you attempt to legislate what is hate speech and what isn't, even if it is a resolution, you open the door to a lot of complex issues. What is hate speech exactly? What isn't hate speech?

This is a serious affront to liberty and I sincerely hope the SGA, in its wisdom, will see this and vote against any such resolution unless the language allows for all our organizations of faith to discuss its beliefs without being labeled as condoning hate speech, etc.

• So free speech only stands if it's progressive?

I have no problem with the LGBT community, but I do have a problem with any limitations on free speech.

Is this truly hate speech, or is this "advocate" just upset that his/her opinions weren't shared by Bulldog Ministries?

Why does every person think that freedom of speech only applies to him/her and the people with whom they agree? Freedom of speech means that people have a right to voice their dissent as well. If you want to tell someone that there's nothing wrong with being gay — with which, I agree, by the way — they have every right to tell you that they disagree.

Grow up, already.

• Hello,

Long time reader, first time commenter. I’m a former SGA member from previous administrations who enjoy reading what current SGA is doing to empower the students. I just have a quick question. About the motorcycle legislation, wasn’t it proposed and even passed last administration already? Below is a link to the final and signed copy of it. The only problem was the University didn’t change it yet, if they were going to change it at all. It was up to the President and Vice President as members of the Campus Facilities Planning Committee to carry out this change. There were no reports of whether the Committee agree or disagree with the change. So I think it’s still in the process. As one who worked on many policies, the Universities can take a quite long time to implement policies. I’m just curious, is another legislation needed? Because it will just restart the procedure again. Good luck 49th Adminstration.

http://sga.uh.edu/images/PDFs/UB48005.pdf

• "Sergeant at Arms Henry Velman said there is a difference between free speech and hate speech…"

Okay… so what is the difference, Constitutionally speaking, Mr. Velman, or are you just making it up as you go along?

• May be he meant that hate speech would be like some one saying you should go out kill such and such a person/group of people.

• What I find lacking in this whole discussion is a definition of “hate speech.” I preached with/for Bulldog Ministries on campus last Friday (1/31/14) and didn’t see anything we were saying as “hateful.” Telling someone that they are hell-bound due to their sinful choices and behavior can actually be interpreted as “love speech” if, in fact, they are… hell-bound.

I would ask you what you think of the following statement:

“But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.” (Revelation 21:8)

That was actually JESUS talking! Was He using “hate speech?” If not, neither were we. If He was, then we were saying nothing more than He did. If Jesus was not “guilty” of hate speech, then we can’t be considered guilty either. If He was, at least we’re in good company. But you can’t have it both ways. In light of Jesus’ command to His followers to “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation (Mark 16:15),” we answer our critics on whether we, along with our Lord, use(d) hate speech or not with the words of the Apostle Peter: “We must obey God rather than men.” (Acts 5:29)

“Repent and believe in the gospel.” – Jesus Christ (Mark 1:15)