Golf

Cougars finish sixth, Robledo places in top five

Freshman Roman Robledo finish tied for fifth at the Conference USA Championship. Robledo shot a 76 in the final round. He went into the round tied for first place  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

Freshman Roman Robledo finish tied for fifth at the Conference USA Championship. Robledo shot a 76 in the final round. He went into the round tied for first place | Courtesy of UH Athletics

The Cougars finished sixth at the Conference USA Tournament on Tuesday at Texarkana Country Club.

UH finished 25 shots behind winner Memphis, who finished five under. Central Florida finished two shots behind them. East Carolina took third at five over, and UAB and SMU tied for fourth at nine over.

Coming into the final round of play, freshman Roman Robledo was tied on top the leaderboard, but ended up tying for fifth after shooting a 76. Robledo opened the final round with bogeys on four of the first five holes, and totalled seven bogeys for the round. Robledo finished with a score of 214 (-2) and was named to the All-Tournament Team.

Last season, sophomore Curtis Reed also tied for fifth and was named to the All-Tournament Team. This season, Reed shot a 74 in the final round to finish at 220 (+6) to finish 20th.

On May 7, the NCAA will announce the 81 teams and 45 individuals that qualify for the NCAA Tournament.