Track & Field

NCAA Championships: Coogs compete on the national stage

The University of Houston men’s and women’s track teams follow up a successful season with a trip north to Des Moines, Iowa where they will compete  in front of thousands against the best in the country. | Stock photo/The Daily Cougar

The University of Houston men’s and women’s track teams follow up a successful season with a trip north to Des Moines, Iowa where they will compete in front of thousands against the best in the country. | Stock photo/The Daily Cougar

The UH track and field team is gearing up for another challenging run. The team will be sending seven individuals and two relay teams to compete at the NCAA Championship, which begins today and ends Saturday at Drake Stadium in Des Moines, Iowa.

The Coogs are coming off another successful season with the men conquering their fourth consecutive Conference USA Outdoor Track and Field Championships and the women finishing fourth.

Errol Nolan performed well at the C-USA championship, comfortably winning his third consecutive 400-meter title, and will attempt to continue to run with that momentum.

The speedy junior will take his talents to Des Moines for the 400-meter dash and as a leg in the men’s relay team. Nolan, an All-American, is one to watch.

Grecia Bolton has been a standout performer as well; she has qualified for 100-meter, 200-meter and the 4×100-meter relay. She posted personal bests in the 100-meter and 200-meter during the C-USA championships. This will be Bolton’s third trip to the NCAA championships.

UH also qualified for the NCAA championships in the men’s 4×400. The quartet is comprised of Xavier Boyd, Doug Kelley, Dominique Charles and Nolan. Thomas Lang and John Horton will represent UH in the triple jump.

The women’s team is also full of star-studded athletes. DeMeeka Jones qualified in the 100-meter hurdles and Tai’shea Reese will be competing alongside Bolton in the 200-meter.

Reese and Bolten coupled with Kiersten Brewer and Alicia Perkins are the foursome that will run the 4×100-meter. Head coach Leroy Burrell has overseen the growth of the track and field program for eleven years, and during his tenure, 39 All-Americans and a combined 19 C-USA Team Championships are among his list of accomplishments.

Burrell will attempt to add a few more pelts on the wall as the Cougars attempt to hit their stride in Des Moines.