Interior designer stops in Houston for book signing

Suzzane Kasler has had her work featured in various architecture and interior design magazines since 2005. This room consisting of ceiling high windows, fresh plants and pops of color was apart of her “Watersound”  design. | Courtesy of Keith Arnold

Suzzane Kasler has had her work featured in various architecture and interior design magazines since 2005. This room consisting of ceiling high windows, fresh plants and pops of color was a part of her “Watersound” design. | Courtesy of Keith Arnold

Atlanta-based interior designer Suzanne Kasler stopped by Houston to give an insightful presentation on her work as well as sign copies of her book “Suzanne Kasler: Inspired Interior” on Tuesday at the Houston Design Center.

Kasler revealed her personal notes on design and narrated stories behind the details of her work.

The interior designer displayed photos of her work in homes across the nation while she described her initial visions for new spaces, challenges in making them come to fruition and the details of her design work that allows spaces to resonate.

Kasler’s work has been published in numerous home decor magazines including “Elle Decor,” “Instyle” and “Architectural Digest,” in which her Atlanta home was recently featured.

Her inspiration coincides with her ambitions as a shopper, which often stems from her interest in clothes. “I’m always inspired by fashion,” Kasler said.

During shopping trips with her daughter, Kasler can often be found photographing pictures to inspire her later down the road.

“I can take little pictures of those button details, a pleat detail and a trim detail,” Kasler said.

The mother also likes to travel to stores around-the-world and explained how designers can be stimulated with a visit to a unique shop.

Kasler advises aspiring young designer to utilize their own space as a laboratory to carry out ideas and experiments.

“The best canvas you can use, really, is your own house because in your house, you get to decide,” Kasler said.

As the designer displayed a picture of a decorated dining room, she spoke of making things work within one’s budget and used personal experiences as examples.

She explained that one of her clients did not want to embellish a dining room with wall lining so the designer instead found a more affordable alternative by avoiding expensive lacquer and painted the walls with glossy turquoise from the trim down.

As Kasler went through her slideshow presentation, she pointed out details that give rooms character.

Kasler also elaborated on her aim to mix the lows with the highs in her interior decorations.
“Today everyone wants to have that something from the catalogue and then have something that’s expensive.”

She recently designed a line of furniture for Hickory Chair and a collection of lighting for Visual Comfort.
“Years ago when I was collecting I didn’t think about (designing products), but then I kept finding that I wanted that same piece that I kept looking for again and again,” Kasler said.

She gradually began to think like a designer and this nurtured her through her transition from a collector to a professional interior decorator.