METRO light rail causes conflict

UH and Metropolitan Transit Authority of Harris County have been would-be neighbors for much of last spring and this summer as the Southwest rain line has been in the works, but this relationship may not be as sound as it once seemed.

The West University Examiner reported last Thursday that Executive Director of Media Relations Richard Bonnin said “UH did ask Metro to move the lines off campus.”

The corner of Scott and Wheeler, property of the University, would be covered with the track and platform; 4.48 acres of land would need to be on current UH property, METRO said. The University has thus far refused to sell this land to METRO.

Bonnin declined to comment further.

“It would be inappropriate to discuss any further details while the negotiations are taking place,” Bonnin said. “As a state agency, METRO has the right to take a large amount of land away from the University of Houston for its light rail expansion project.”

However, Bonnin did express some dissatisfaction with the probable acquisition of University land.

“Needless to say, this will have a significant impact on the University. However, the chancellor’s number one principle is that while METRO has the right to take the land, UH has the right to be made whole,” Bonnin said.

According to a statement published by the West University Examiner, METRO believes that if a deal is not reached soon, construction delays for the much anticipated and needed light rail may ensue.

“In the past, I have had students who could not attend class because their cars had broken down and they were far from bus stops,” said University Professor Irving Rothman in an email. “For the University of Houston to withhold the sale of minor parcels of land is shortsighted when one considers the greater advantages of Metro rail travel.”

Studies are not the only aspects Rothman said will suffer from what he sees as unwillingness by UH to sell the land.

“Students living in the residence halls and without cars or personal transportation would find it much easier to attend operas, plays, sports events. or popular music sites in downtown Houston not readily accessible to them today,” Rothman said. “Some currently feel land–locked without ready access to entertainment sites, restaurants, or clothing stores off campus.”

• I think Rothman is speaking out of turn. Students that don’t have their own form of transportation have been getting around for generations. Its called riding with friends or borrowing the family car. College students are more than happy to pick up a friend or two that need a ride.

As a university professor I would like Rothman to produce verifiable evidence to his claim. Where is his unbiased peer reviewed research?

Without any proof he is merely expressing his opinion which are like a*****les, everybody has one.

As an alumni I back UH in its decision either way. I have lost all respect and confidence in Metro, how it operates and its strategic planning. Add to that the huge waste of the .01 cent sales tax revenue it receives mot only in Houston and Harris County but also surrounding counties and municipalities.

When you look at the cost per mile to build and operate per passenger it is a huge waste of tax payer dollars. Houston is the only major city in the US that doesn’t have zoning. The lack of zoning is why Metro is such a failure at providing mass transportation.

• I think Rothman is being pretty melodramatic as well. Bus stops are not always far in Houston, and as long as you familiarize yourself with basic routes to get to UH, it shouldn’t be an issue. Especially since you can call METRO if you need trip planning.

However, I somewhat disagree with your opinion. Yes, I’m very aware that METRO has been pretty terrible with running operations and controlling their budget, after scores of articles in the Houston Chronicle. The old CEO was terrible, and corrupt. The new one is an improvement, but that’s not saying much.

There are arguments for and against light rail. One should note light rail’s initial costs are very expensive, but intended to bring long term benefits like lower overall operating costs (than buses with less drivers, fuel, etc.), full right of way, increased ridership (I think it’s dumb, but ppl apparently prefer rail to buses), economic development, etc. I’d have prefer grade-separated light rail like in Seattle which would have been expensive, or an excellent BRT system, but oh well. METRO isn’t just for the carless; it’s a cheap way to get around, especially if you can get to a park-and-ride to go to downtown.

• I agree with Dr.Rothman, As an International student who stays on campus and has no car, I would find the light rail a blessing when completed. I know that several students have been looking forward to this expansion. The light rail is the most cheapest, cleanest, greenest and convenient means of transport in Houston. It is hard to believe that even as pollution and gas prices rise exponentially, people cannot see the benefits of an efficient public transport system.

• my thing is wouldn’t it been smart to have all of this squared away before construction even begun?!!

• What the metro is not telling is how hard the University has tried to negotiate with them. They want to take land that would require UH to find a new home for their softball and tennis teams and also take away the practice fields for our football team. The only thing UH has asked is to be compensated for these losses. We are lucky to have an athletic director in mack Rhoades who has not allowed the University to get scapled. It appears that metro has mirraculously been able to detour the rail around some of this and make a few minor adjustments to help with the practice fields to get the rail project going. Do not believe the metro version of this story on how they have been so mistreated by UH. The motive by UH is to give their students the best possible deal while metro would like to take away land under the pretenses they are giving back to the University and community.

• I’m not a fan of seeing UH property lost in the process, but the needs of the general Houston community are also important too.

Light rail is very difficult to route through existing development, and even a slight degree in angle of rail could add to the costs significantly. If entire buildings or complexes are in danger of being removed, METRO should at least help pay for relocation of said facilities or contribute in another way. However, METRORail would also help bring lower parking and traffic congestion around UH by removing cars off the road as well.

But it’s great to see that UH has done fairly great negotiations to try to work out a better solution for everyone.

• couldn’t find a professor who isn’t a member of the school paper? or at least one whose expertise is more relevant to transportation logistics than studying the writings of Daniel Defoe?
    CoI? or just laziness?

• I am a UH students who rides metro everyday to get to class. Someone below commented that we should just borrow a car or ride with a friend.mbelieve me it is not as easy. I was really looking forward to the metro rail expansion that would bring me straight from downtown to school in a matter of minutes instead of having to wait around 20 minutes for a bus to come. I understand that the softball, baseball and football practice fields would be lost but I still think that such fields could be relocated to the corner of 45 and Cullen where the stadium could have been built. It is amazing how the university is opposing this given that parking is hell in this university. I would be extremely disappointed to see the project fail because a university is selfish enough to keep its fields instead of seeing how much this would benefit the community. UH has been posed since the beginning saying that such rail would bring unwanted people to or close to campus but look at Rice, the metro goes by them and they don’t complain. That’s why we will never be good enough. But go ahead UH build a new stadium and don’t mind your individual students.

I would like to see what the school administration thinks of this rail because I do agree that whomever talked to the daily cougar is not someone with authority.
    Proud to be a clog but rather disappointed about this matter…

• What you don’t know is what a first class tool the former leader of Metro, Frank Wilson, is. He’s the one that ok’d all of this and his reputation of bulldozing his way through anything is easily seen by googling. Those that ask why wasn’t this squared away before? Frank Wilson is your answer.