Edwards proving critics wrong, now in Motor City

With a history of non-believers, Patrick Edwards was not granted a scholarship prior to entering college before walking on to the UH football team in 2007. He redshirted his first year with the team and was able to earn a starting spot his sophomore year in 2008, where he began his incredible journey.

By the end of his senior year, Edwards was named C-USA Offensive Player of the Year and held UH and C-USA records for career receiving yards (4,471), 100-yard receiving games (17) and the UH record for career touchdown catches (43). Since that time, Edwards has traded in his scarlet red to sport Honolulu blue for the Detroit Lions in the upcoming NFL season.

Edwards entered in the 2012 NFL Draft and was not picked up in any of the seven rounds, likely because he was unable to attend the Combine and at his Pro Day in March ran 4.57 seconds in the 40-yard dash. This was due to an injury at the Senior Bowl, where Edwards tore his quad, causing him to appear too susceptible.

As a free agent after the draft, Edwards was picked up by the Lions immediately. The Lions, who haven’t won a Super Bowl since 1957, were in need of an athlete like Edwards and were able to notice what the other NFL teams bypassed — his talent.

“Honestly, we were very surprised he didn’t get drafted and he was a guy we went to work on right away, right away as soon as that draft was over,” Lions head coach Jim Schwartz said to the Lions Insider.

During the Lions’ rookie mini-camp in Allen Park, MI, Edwards showed off his true skills after Lions second-round pick Ryan Broyles was unable to participate due to an ACL injury. Edwards stood out even more against the other remaining receivers.

“He’s very fast,” Lions general manager Martin Mayhew told the Lions Insider. “That Houston offense throws the ball around quite a bit. He was one of those run-and-shoot receivers. He caught like 89 balls last year, I think, so he caught a ton of balls. He’s been a three-year starter for them. He has over 4,500 yards in his career. He’s another guy who we think has a really good chance.”

As Edwards continues to prep for the upcoming season with his new team, he has shown incredible determination — something seen throughout his career. With his great achievements while at UH and his eagerness to impress the Lions’ coaches, Edwards looks as if he could once again prove the doubters wrong.