Academics & Research

Students ‘discover’ research databases

UH has developed a series of workshops to aid would-be researchers in project formulation and data communication for their classroom papers.
The “Discovery Workshops” will be held in a series that will extend over the summer, fall and spring semesters of this academic year.
The series are held by experts in their respective fields and have been a running staple in UH’s research-aid program for many years.
Veronique V. Tran, director of UH’s Learning through Discovery program, knows that some if not most students will write research papers at some point and most of those students will require credit sources.

“The Discovery Workshops provide students with tools and resources to support their research – whether they are working on a research paper for a class or a more extensive summer research project or thesis,” Tran said in an email.

“We’re also trying to get students from all majors to realize that mastering research skills will give them a competitive edge in their job in the real-world.”

For those long-distance learned, the Discovery Workshops can be viewed remotely and at various times.

“We use feedback from the students and presenters to improve the series each semester.  We started out with all face-to-face workshops but many students had course scheduling conflicts or lived far away from campus and could not attend – so we transitioned some of them to the webinar format. Students can access the webinar remotely from their homes with internet access,” Tran said.

“We also record the webinar so that student who could not view the session live could view the archive and still benefit from the material.”

After one of the lectures, senior psychology major Samantha Hodge was approached to see how she felt about the talk. She felt that the lecture she attended was helpful.

“I feel that this workshop was a beneficial experience that solidified the knowledge I had taught myself. In this situation, I was actually taught what to do, which I think will be helpful,” Hodge said.

The next workshop in the summer series is titled “Writing Effective Research Reports.” The first part will be held from 2:00 to 3:30 p.m. July 10 in room 10F of the MD Anderson Library. It will discuss how to read and incorporation previous studies and journal reports. The second, July 12, same time same location, will focus on presenting ones research in an effective manner.