Music

Bloc Party shines with latest album

U.K indie-rock band Bloc Party has circled back to its post-punk revival roots with a refreshing twist in its new album, “Four.”

After Bloc Party’s emergence in 2005, fans have missed its original style. However, the group has returned with a new sense of maturity.

The album jumps off with the loud start of “So He Begins to Lie,” which showcases a heavy guitar and Americana sound many listeners are not used to.

In the track “3×3,” the lyrics start off raspy and low, with wordplay like that of Slayer and Megadeth. It later switches to lead vocalist Kele Okereke hauntingly saying, “No,” before screaming, “Yes.”

The album takes a break from hard rock towards the middle, but closes with “We Are Not Good People.” The interludes that connect the verses give off a standard guitar sound that American fans easily adapt to.

Bloc Party’s best rendition of the harder style of rock is “Team A.” The untamed guitar near the end is exhilarating, and the adrenaline punch by the lyrics, “I am going to ruin your life,” serves as an icing on the cake.

“Coliseum” stands out in “Four” because it starts off with a bluesy folk intro and subsequently powers through with a strong guitar presence. The song’s ravishing tone builds up to the astonishing lyricism.

Bloc Party still retains their irreplaceable depth in “Truth,” which has astounding vocal hooks and emotions relayed by the lyrics, “I am yours now respectfully. I am yours now truthfully.”

The band’s second single, “Day Four,” is this album’s version of “This Modern Love,” from their début album in 2005. The song ends with echoing vocals and violin music fading into the distance. It also has a similar sound to Bloc Party’s other track, “Real Talk.”  The second verse incorporates a banjo that assists the piece from start to finish.

The first single, “Octopus,”  reminds the fans of Bloc Party’s older sound. From its moving hooks to the lyrical structure of the song, avid followers of the indie-rock music are no strangers to this playful tone.

Some of the harder rock tracks do not fit the bill with this band, and may seem more like a tribute anthem than the original roots. The thresher tracks should not be dismissed, though. The more tranquil and less power-driven tracks are amazing, and give us back the nostalgia that this band has created since 2005.