Campus

Heath center passes check-up

The UH Health Center validated the quality of service it provides to students with an upgrade in accreditation.

The Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care recognized the Health Center through a process in which an ambulatory health care organization is able to display its performance against nationally recognized standards.

“Accreditation is another sign of recognition for UH on a national scale. It signals to our patients and their families that UH provides state of the art medical services,” said Mary Rae, chief physician at the UH Health Center.

“The requirements of the award are that the health center meet rigorous core standards defined by AAAHC. These standards cover everything from patients’ rights, privacy issues, board certification of physicians, continuous quality improvement, peer review, continuing medical education, facility safety, infection control, pharmacy policies to assure safety and laboratory quality standards.”

According to the AAAHC website, the certificate of Accreditation demonstrates an organization’s commitment to provide safe and quality services to patients. It increases an organization’s competitive edge in the market. The quality of care received has not gone unnoticed by students.

“(The Heath Center) was really good. I haven’t had a lot of doctors that I’ve liked before,” said economics junior Nam-My Le.

UH made a lot of changes in order to prepare for the application process, which involves an average of two years.

“An extensive library of policies and procedures was developed by the UH Health Center leadership to meet all these requirements,” Rae said.

“The entire staff of physicians, nurse practitioner, nurses, medical assistants, dentist, dental assistants, pharmacists, phlebotomist, medical records and administrative staff members participated in the effort.”

The accreditation process begins with a multi-step evaluation. The first step is to conduct a self-assessment within the organization. The second is a two-day on-site survey conducted by Accreditation Association Surveyors. Once granted, the accreditation lasts anywhere from six months to three years.

“I think that the UH Health Center deserves it,” said psychology junior Tessa Long.

“They all work really hard. It is a great resource that students can have. Even without insurance, student discounts make the Health Center very affordable.”

“I don’t think many students are aware of the Health Center. Hopefully, this accreditation will make students realize what a great resource the Health Center is,” Long said.