Golf

UH opens Dave Williams Golf Academy

Third year head coach Jonathan Dismuke utilizes the SAM PuttLab of the facility’s many technological advancements which allows players to analyze their stroke.   |  Photo courtesy of UH Athletics

Third-year head coach Jonathan Dismuke utilizes the SAM PuttLab of the facility’s many technological advancements which allows players to analyze their stroke. | Photo courtesy of UH Athletics

The UH Cougars’ golf team took a giant step forward on their way back to prominence Friday when they announced the opening of their state-of-the-art golf facility.

“We are proud to open the Dave Williams Golf Academy at Redstone Golf Club,” said Athletics Director Mack Rhoades. “Redstone Golf Club is a first-class facility with an exceptional staff.”

The $500,000 facility comes stocked with all the best amenities golf technology has to offer. For the Cougars, the facility holds offices for head coach Jonathan Dismuke and assistant coach Chris Hill, as well as a lounge area that captures the history of the program.

“Redstone’s vision of becoming the premier golf facility in the region is being fulfilled,” said Redstone Golf Club Manager Derek Clouse. “With two championship-caliber courses, a TaylorMade Performance Lab, a Golf Fitness Studio with Titleist Performance Institute Golf Fitness Instructors, world-class practice facilities, and now, the Dave Williams Golf Academy.”

The 4,400 square foot facility also holds indoor and outdoor hitting areas to help a player’s long game, as well as cutting-edge putting systems for the short game, which will all be open to the public.

The commencement of the facility is part of an ongoing partnership between the Redstone Golf Club and UH. Along with the Dave Williams Golf Academy, the team also uses the course to practice on a regular basis.

“As we continue to elevate our program to the highest levels, we are thrilled to see this day come,” Dismuke said. “One of my goals was to find our program a home and to build a state-of-the-art teaching facility that would help recruit student-athletes to the city and to the University of Houston. Having the Dave Williams Golf Academy at the home of the PGA Tour’s Shell Houston Open will showcase our outstanding facility to a national audience every year.”

The facility received its name in honor of legendary Houston golf coach Dave Williams, who led the Cougars from 1952-87. During his time at UH, the Randolph native coached the Cougars through 341 tournament victories and 16 team national championships.

“It is altogether fitting that this new facility is named in honor of one of the most respected men in college athletics,” Rhoades said. “No coach in history can boast of more team and individual success or had a greater impact on the lives of the student-athletes with whom he worked than Dave Williams.”

The grand opening comes just a week before the Cougars begin their 2012-2013 campaign. Where they will compete in some marquee tournaments in the country with trips to the Kiawah Island and Augusta National Golf Clubs, each of which held PGA Tour Major Championships this season. But for the Cougars, perhaps no tournament will be bigger than their home tournament Feb. 22 through 24.

Mack Rhoades said this is the first time the Cougars will get to show off their new facility.

“Playing on a home course like this with the Dave Williams Golf Academy gives our student-athletes an advantage against all other competition across the nation.”