Music

Program to present annual opening concert

“Collage 2012,” organized by the Moores School of Music aims to expose the University to concerts and programs that the college offers throughout the year. The event will also highlight solo performers. File photo/The Daily Cougar

As the dawn of a new school year has passed and August turns into September, students and faculty at the Moores School of Music warm up to get the show on the road.

Collage 2012 begins Sept. 13 at the Moores Opera House. There will be 350 performers who will present a cavalcade of music in the massive show, and while “collage” is a term not usually associated with music, the metaphor of assembling different visuals to create a more expressive whole fits.

“The best way to describe Collage is that it’s a superb variety show,” said David White, director of the Moores School of Music.

“Almost the entire Moores School participates from Concert Chorale and the Symphony Orchestra, to members of the Moores Opera Center, AURA and the marching band. There will also be some faculty participating. I’ve not seen the final list of performers, but I can promise a lot of exciting and interesting music to hear that will provide a lot of variety. It shows off what great talent we have in the Moores School.”

Given the large number of performers, Collage will be a rapid-fire affair.

“In Collage, each participant does one short piece and though it may be fine music, it must be appealing to all,” said Betsy Weber, director of the Moores School Concert Chorale and Women’s Chorus.

The Moores School has more to offer in the coming weeks, including three guest lecturers to both educate and perform once a month.

Seth Morris, principal flutist in the Houston Grand Opera and Houston Ballet orchestras, will be the first to start on Sept. 24 in the Dudley Recital Hall.

“Since Mr. Morris is relatively new to Houston, I’ve never heard him perform,” White said. “While I’ve not seen a list of pieces he’ll play, I’m sure the recital will be excellent because to win the audition that got him his job, he has to be an excellent musician.”

Rounding out September will be jazz saxophonist Woody Witt as he headlines at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 21, followed by violinist Kristen Yon at 2:30 p.m. on Sept. 23.

The Percussion Ensemble will also perform at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 24 in the Moores Opera House for “Cagefest,” which will celebrate the 100th birthday of avant-garde composer John Cage.

The Moores School Concert Chorale, the University Symphony Orchestra and the Prairie View A&M University Concert Chorale will put on “A Centennial Celebration” on Oct. 5 and 6 by Samuel Coleridge-Taylor, an Afro-British composer from London who grew to prominence at the turn of the 20th century during the Classical Period.

Moores is holding this two-day event to present his music and hold panel discussions about the man, his life and his art.

Tickets can be obtained from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Friday at the Moores School of Music box office, or at the concert venue one hour prior to the event.

“Collage 2012” is free to all audiences, but tickets must still be procured.

For more information, visit the Moores School website at www.music.uh.edu.