TV

Student wins chef contest

On the season finale of FOX’s reality cooking competition TV show, one UH student emerged as the victor and proved that with a little hard work, anything is possible.

Out of 100 entrants who auditioned for the show and 18 competing finalists, UH creative writing graduate Christine Ha was crowned the winner of “MasterChef.”

She was able to create dishes that would impress the judges throughout the entire season. During Ha’s final showdown against Josh Marks, a native from Jackson, Miss. and U.S. Army contract specialist, she prepared a special three course meal in a span of two hours.

Culturemaps.com reported that the show judges identified with her deep-rooted culture mixed into her cooking, fixing up a fresh Thai papaya salad, drizzled with a fish sauce alongside coconut-lime sorbet with a ginger tuile.

Culturemaps.com also reported that although the decision making concerning the winner was difficult, judges Gordon Ramsay, Graham Elliot and Joe Bastianich found that it was clear which menu had the better flavor.

With her Southeast Asian meal cooked to perfection, Ha was crowned the season three champion of “MasterChef.” For winning the competition, she was awarded $250,000 and a chance to publish her own cookbook.

Upon winning the coveted title of Master Chef, Ha noted that her disabilities were a non-factor in placing her spot as this season’s winner.

“I’m living proof that dreams come true against all odds,” said Ha.