Did You Know?

Did you know, a weekly column highlightings interesting facts about majors offered on campus with the hopes to peak interest among the student body. Lawrence Pinsky, professor and chairman of the Department of Physics provided the supporting information for this week’s column:

1. Physics is the study of the fundamental laws and processes in the universe. The typical fields offered at UH are in regards to mechanics, thermodynamics, electricity and magnetism, statistical mechanics, relativity, optics, solid-state physics, astronomy, and experimental techniques.

2. Did you know that the Internet is possible today because of the study of physics?

Tim Berners Lee, a graduate of Oxford University, created the concept in 1989 for the Cern physics laboratory in Geneva, Switzerland to quickly send and access information. Since then, the Internet has evolved into a major tool accessible to everyone.

3. James Clerk Maxwell, known for his work with electromagnetic theory, made the development of computers, radios, TV, cell phones and a lot of medical technologies possible through the study of matter and energy. He is considered one of the most influential 19th century physicists to the 20th century.

4. The majority of physics graduates seek higher education through continued research or earning doctorate degrees. Statistically, 100 percent of physics graduates are employed within 12 months of graduation. Physicists with bachelor’s degrees typically make $40,000 to $65,000. Salaries for physicists with doctorate degrees who work in the private sector can range from $80,000 to $100,000.

5. Currently, nationwide undergraduate enrollment for physics majors is 79 percent male and 21 percent female. Of physics majors in the U.S., 93 percent have taken high school physics and 50 percent have taken AP courses. The study of physics requires a strong aptitude in math, dedication and a curious nature in order to succeed.

6. In 1836, Michael Faraday built a conductive cage that a person could stand inside, perfectly safe, while lightning bolt-like arcs surged around the exterior. This cage, known as the Faraday Cage, blocked external electric fields thus protecting the person inside. The same concept has been translated into the protection of electronic equipment from lightning strikes and electrostatic discharges, shielded cables and the reverse functioning of how a microwave works.

7. There are many space theories that can be researched and debated on the web like worm holes, shifting poles, black holes, the end of the world, etc. Here’s just one: Did you know that if a person were to make a short trip into space and back, traveling near the speed of light, a greater amount of time would have elapsed on Earth than what that person personally experienced? They wouldn’t age as fast as everyone they came home to.