Golf

Team secures second

The UH men’s golf team finished second out of 11 teams this week at the Shoal Creek Intercollegiate in Birmingham, Ala.

After finding themselves in a tie for fifth following a day one total score of 292, the Cougars put together the lowest round in tournament history with a -9, and had 279 to take a five-stroke lead heading into the final round.

“In the second round, we were disciplined and stuck to our game plan,” said assistant coach Chris Hill.

“We hit good spots and good things happened. As a coach, when you see a plan executed well, it brings a smile to your face.”

On the final day, however, the Cougars struggled with three golfers shooting their first round of the tournament pushing UH back to a final round score of 869.

UH was led by junior Wesley McClain who returned to the lineup for the first time since breaking his arm in mid-April.

McClain’s -3 was good enough to finish third individually while junior Jesse Droemer and sophomore Roman Robledo both tied for 11th at +1.

Junior Curtis Reed moved into the top 20 individual standings with a tie for 19 at +6.

Louisiana State University finished the tournament at even par with a total score of 864 to win the tournament.

The Cougar’s next action will come in the form of a three-day tournament beginning next Sunday at the Fighting Irish Gridiron Classic in South Bend, Ind.