Events Food Life + Arts

UH chills Rice in cook-off

Team UH consisted of members Shelby Gerdan, Grant Keaton, Carlos Ortiz and Jeff Clark. These four chilli experts helped win the 2012 Bayou Bucket trophy at the cook-off on Saturday | Alexandra Doyle/The Daily Cougar

The drizzle Saturday may have been enough to obscure the sights of the tailgate area at Reliant Stadium, but there was one thing it could not disguise — the smell of chili cooking in the open air, which was sure to send salivary glands into overdrive during the fourth annual UH vs. Rice Chili Cook-off.

Teams began cooking early morning in the hopes of winning the cook-off trophy for their schools. While UH has won the People’s Choice Award for each of the previous three competitions, Rice has won the judges’ favor for the last two.

Jeff Clark, a nutrition junior and member of the UH team, found the challenge inspiring.

“This is my second year competing and after losing last year, I’m out for revenge,” Clark said.

“We have a new chef, a new recipe and a new approach. We’re here to win.”

UH and Rice teams had their eye on the prize as they prepare tailor made chili dishes for the judges and students in attendance. | Alexandra Doyle/The Daily Cougar

UH and Rice teams had their eye on the prize as they prepare tailor made chili dishes for the judges and students in attendance. |
Alexandra Doyle/The Daily Cougar

Five judges were selected to put that new approach to the test. There were to be two judges from Rice, two judges from UH and one independent judge. The chili samples from both Bayou Bucket teams were ranked on originality, taste, texture, presentation and overall quality.

Students and tailgaters were encouraged to sample the chilis and cast their votes in the People’s Choice competition.

The recipe revamp was enough to impress the judges, and the UH team recaptured the People’s Choice Award this year. They also recovered the championship from the Owls and took home the trophy.

Hotel and restaurant management sophomore Carlos Ortiz was enthusiastic about how the entire event turned out.

“It’s been a great experience through and through,” Ortiz said.

“It’s especially fun because it’s just a whole new level of being a fan.”

The special ingredient within the Cougars’ chili was a success at this Bayou Bucket — after two years of disappointment. UH hopes to win again at next year’s battle for the Bucket.

Grant Keaton, 2012 graduate of the Hilton College and the current production manager for the Fresh Food Company in Moody Towers, took pride in his cooking during the competition.

“We used ten different kinds of chilies, including dried and fresh, orange and red Habanero, some fire roasted. It’s an absolute symphony of spice,” Keaton said.

The chili took four hours to finish cooking, with limes, top sirloin and a little thirst for revenge.

“It simply screams for owl blood,” Keaton said.