Campus

Dining changes across campus

Beside the opening of Cougar Woods Dining Hall (above) on Monday, UH Dining Services has worked on improving dining experiences across the University’s campus.  |  Joshua Mann/The Daily Cougar

Beside the opening of Cougar Woods Dining Hall (above) on Monday, UH Dining Services has worked on improving dining experiences across the University’s campus. | Joshua Mann/The Daily Cougar

UH and Aramark dining services have changed the way we eat on campus, bringing nutrition information to your fingertips.

“We are here to provide innovative solutions the best way we know. We don’t want people to have to work hard to make the right, best-informed choice,” said Geoffrey Herbert, operations director of Aramark.

“To reinforce its decision to make campus healthier, UH is one of the first universities in the southwest region to bring in a dietitian to give reports on campus dining and help steer us toward making healthier choices,” Herbert said.

The two companies have also released a free nutritional app, giving detailed descriptions of the calories and ingredients in every item on the menu in the residential dining halls.

The app is currently available to students and can be downloaded for free at any phone application store, Herbert said.

“I eat at the cafe about five times a week. I am excited to see UH taking the necessary steps towards providing us with balanced meals, especially through a phone app,” said psychology freshman Amanda Harris.

“The prices for the food will remain the same, and making these changes to the menu is an added service to a university that deserves the best,” Herbert said.

Future plans include turning the new dining hall that opened yesterday, Cougar Woods, allergen-free.