Events

Festival celebrates with multiples themes

Festival-goers from across state had the opportunity to experience six sanctuaries of elves, fairies and wizards in the 1001 Dreams event this weekend, during the 38th annual Texas Renaissance Festival.

The eight-week celebration features a different theme every weekend. Many of the attendees dressed in 16th century inspired clothing.

“It’s fun to act out of character and the fair gives you a chance to,” said Alli Rogers, who attended the fair for multiple years now.

The Clan Tynker Family Circus, a long-time tradition of the festival, entertained the family-oriented crowd when they escaped from locked boxes, juggled swords and played with fire.

Afterwards, there was a joust in the arena when the festival king and queen made their appearances as representatives from England, France, Germany and Spain fought for the honor of each of their countries.

The festival featured signature carnival foods such as beer, funnel cakes, pizza and turkey legs.

The village at the fair was laid out into different areas where attendees could experience international cuisines from Bavaria, England, Italy and Poland.

“Dressing up really changes the experience for me,” said patron Heidi Zack. “It makes me feel like I am a part of it and not just coming to it.”

Zack has been attending renaissance festivals for many years, but it wasn’t until she got married and started dressing up with her husband’s family who celebrates the Renaissance Festival traditionally.

“It opened my eyes to something I didn’t know and I’m really glad about it,” Zack said.

Add Comment